GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OT: looking for a new digital SLR, which one??

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Yeh the cash back has been fairly popular at work this week, moved a couple of 5D 24-105 kits and a few of the other lenses thanks to this one.

I have the 17-40, and you would not have looked back on that purchase at all, that said one of the guys at work has the Sigma 17-70 and loves it to death as well.

In terms of price, I could have matched that, but there is no way I would have gone that low for anyone other than family, and it would probably count as abuse of my managerial powers as well. Quite simply, retail stores can not offer prices that low, still help out customers when warranty issues arise and stay in business unless we sell extended warranties on all items or charge handing fees (we slug people that have purchased it from other store $35.00 handling fee).

Warranty wise, as long as they stay in business you should be right, enjoy the new toys and be sure to check out the lenses very closely (you should always check them out, regardless of origin).

Look forward to seeing some pics soon!

Does your profit margin get hit at all with rebates like this? If not, you must absolutely love the Manufacturer taking money off, meaning you don't have to eat into your margin at all to secure the sale. I just can't get over the magnitude of the cashback offer - it's like over 30%.

I'm glad I got a bargain, but I worked in electrical for years and knowing the cost price on most electrical items (big tvs can have up to a 50% profit margin), I generally refuse to pay retail.

Cheers

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Steve i hate you! i paid around $1800 when i got my 350D.. it had just come out!

:cry:

Maybe Ian and I should get together and "rub our hands with glee", lol.

Cheers

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Steve i hate you! i paid around $1800 when i got my 350D.. it had just come out!

:cry:
Me too - but I was going on holiday and needed it fast!
Can't complain though, it has served me well.

Congrats on the cool stuff, Steve. Now you just need a tripod... :thumbsup:

REDMKVGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Does your profit margin get hit at all with rebates like this? If not, you must absolutely love the Manufacturer taking money off, meaning you don't have to eat into your margin at all to secure the sale. I just can't get over the magnitude of the cashback offer - it's like over 30%.

I'm glad I got a bargain, but I worked in electrical for years and knowing the cost price on most electrical items (big tvs can have up to a 50% profit margin), I generally refuse to pay retail.

Cheers

Nope, they've got nothing to do with us at all.

The margin on SLR's is not nearly 50% I wish it was tho. If you pay RRP for something like a twin lens kit (EOS 400D, 18-55, 70-300) the margin is about 25% (maybe a couple more for pentax/Nikon). In fact, canon gear in general is shite for margin.

That said, it is possible to buy stuff directly from Canon if the rep likes you. Those prices (canon staff) are exceptional.

Booba

Ready to race!
holy thread bump, that was posted 9 years ago!

Tractor

Holy crap. Old thread needs resurrection. Canikon fanboys occupied the pages just like apple ios android phone v windows phones. so I would say Sony Alpha with a Sony Carl Zeiss lens e.g. 16-80 CZ, period.

David Clements

$1400 isn't going to get you far with mid-spec digital SLRs in either Canon or Nikon. But agree - go with these as they have the most to spend on R&D.
Once you go with one, you tend to stick with it as you'll get a collection of lenses that fit one but not the other.
Canon's seem lighter (big generalisation) for body, but conversely it means lesser durability.
Ultimately it depends on what you use it for. If you're not going bush a lot and won't use it to death like a photojournalist then see don't need high end.
Just beware of entry level as if you get a liking for it, you may wish you had bought a higher-spec one in the first place that lets you do things entry level does not.

FWIW i have Nikon D7S. Great as it's almost as good as the high end but without the fiddly controls. There's only a few things now that film does better than digital which will be very hard to replace (e.g. long-exposure at night to capture stars, etc. as CCD will pickup too much noise, and you need more than the camera battery to keep the shutter open for so long with digital! Film is all menchanical - minimal battery usage)

what about Nikon D40x?