GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, here is a simple DIY for those who's tires only rub a little bit

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
Monster bump for all the scrubbers.
Did this simple fender screw mod on the weekend. (common name added to help people search for this thread!)
It is significantly easier if the plastic is warm, as I discovered with my car parked on the front lawn half in the sun, half in the shade :)
No longer scrubbing on my KW V3 (lowered 22mm).

Thank you, kind Modérateur.

oettingerperformance

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI Mkv
To avoid paint cracking, heat the area where you are going to bend with a heat gun... like the window tinters use. When the paint's warm, it's flexible, and will not crack. Don't burn the clearcoat by keeping it on the spot to long though.

My .02 cents.

Kjyuan

blinded conserving racer
F!!! i think i stripped my bolts cuz i keep turning and nothing happens. sigh.

lifeis11

Broke as a Joke
just wanted to bump this thread a bit and give some thanks! :thumbsup:

got some coilovers on friday, and instantly noticed rubbing from what sounded like the part of the wheelwell described in this thread. 15 minutes later and no rubbing since!

thanks!

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
So i did the screw mod today, and wanted to know are you meant to push the plastic bit above the flat metal part (where the screw goes in) or leave the plastic sitting as is..?

Or do you pull the plastic lining out of the wheel arch all together? Haven't gone for a proper drive yet but assume the tyre would rub on the plastic instead which may wear out..

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
btw i've stuck with 225/40/18 but lowered at the front by 50mm from GTI height (R32 is already 20mm lower, + another 30mm). The stock dunlops rub less than the Falkens i'm running i think. Going to an ET50 18x8 wheel soon, but with 225's so hopefully no worse.

RobbDizzle

Ambalamps Dispatcher
Car(s)
07 VW GTI 5-door
btw i've stuck with 225/40/18 but lowered at the front by 50mm from GTI height (R32 is already 20mm lower, + another 30mm). The stock dunlops rub less than the Falkens i'm running i think. Going to an ET50 18x8 wheel soon, but with 225's so hopefully no worse.

How bad do you rub with the 225's? I'm slightly scared now.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Not that much with normal driving to be honest, it's mainly on mid corner bumps or tight turns. However depends on you suspension settings etc, i have the H&R SPC, and the spring rate seems a bit soft on corners.. may mean not going quite as low or a suspension with more adjustability..

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
How bad is your rubbage? You're 18x8et45 right? Now I'm worried...I've got 18x8.5et40 and I'm going to be using Vogtland 50mm springs....hopefully it doesn't rub too bad...

I've got the same setup as he does wheels wise and the supersports drop just about as low in the front as my cupkit does (I measured it against Raphael's one day). Once I removed that screw, I only rubbed on extreme cornering. That was when the tires still had a lot of life on them. Now that they are down almost to the wear indicators, I've taken corners at pretty good speeds with no rubbing.

18x8.5 ET40 though. Maybe get some 215/40/18 tires if you're worried? Talk to InfraRed since he's in the know when it comes to insanity.:lol:

Edit: Sounds like you already have 225 tires. Hmmmm, maybe sacrifice until they wear out and then get some 215's or whatever if you don't mind the stretch. Or roll the fenders a little.

RobbDizzle

Ambalamps Dispatcher
Car(s)
07 VW GTI 5-door
I've got the same setup as he does wheels wise and the supersports drop just about as low in the front as my cupkit does (I measured it against Raphael's one day). Once I removed that screw, I only rubbed on extreme cornering. That was when the tires still had a lot of life on them. Now that they are down almost to the wear indicators, I've taken corners at pretty good speeds with no rubbing.

18x8.5 ET40 though. Maybe get some 215/40/18 tires if you're worried? Talk to InfraRed since he's in the know when it comes to insanity.:lol:

Edit: Sounds like you already have 225 tires. Hmmmm, maybe sacrifice until they wear out and then get some 215's or whatever if you don't mind the stretch. Or roll the fenders a little.

Well I don't mind the stretch at all...I kinda like it. I'm just leery about giving up the added width even though it's a miniscule amount. Color me irrational I guess.

I guess I'll just deal with it, hopefully it's not too bad.