GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL - P0234 "Overboost Condition"

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
I've gotten this cel twice now in the past week. Both times were when I was WOT, accelerating hard. The cel lit at ~80 mph both times.

Also, and I don't know if this is related or not, but the car went into limp mode for a bit yesterday.

What could be causing this?

I'm stage 1 APR if that matters. I've made an appt. To take the car in for service tomorrow, but am apprehensive that they will be able to see the requested and actual boost numbers and know I'm chipped. The car will be running the stock program with security lock-out activated when I take it in for service.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

07Noside

Banned
The CEL IIRC does not record boost readings. The CEL only shows a record of velocity, engine speed and engine load. They will try to recreate the situation if nothing occurs while in stock mode they will most likely deem it fixed untill they can replicate and diagnose the problem. If you are only having this is issue in chipped mode you will not recieve any warranty work.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Here are a few things to check:

16618/P0234/000564 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
Possible Symptoms

* Boost pressure too high
* Reduced power output

Possible Causes

* Hoses incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
* Malfunction N75

Possible Solutions

* Check charge pressure control
* Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
OK, thanks for the help. We'll see what the dealership says tomorrow.

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
when I was WOT, accelerating hard. The cel lit at ~80 mph both times.

Also, and I don't know if this is related or not, but the car went into limp mode for a bit yesterday.

I am also having a problem with my APR STG 1. I've had it at the dealer 2x now.

When I am WOT in 5th or 6th gear, the car goes into limp mod, but I don't get a CEL.

It throws a softcode:
000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure: Too Low
P0087 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Garnett has performed a few separate TSB's that they thought would remedy the situation. One for the Cam and another one. It is going in tomorrow with the hope of testing the LP and HP fuel pumps.. Hopefully one of them is the culprit.

I can not run WOT on the highway for fear of going limp.. Not an easy feeling when cruising at 80+ and the pedal is pretty much dead.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
I am also having a problem with my APR STG 1. I've had it at the dealer 2x now.

When I am WOT in 5th or 6th gear, the car goes into limp mod, but I don't get a CEL.

It throws a softcode:
000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure: Too Low
P0087 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Garnett has performed a few separate TSB's that they thought would remedy the situation. One for the Cam and another one. It is going in tomorrow with the hope of testing the LP and HP fuel pumps.. Hopefully one of them is the culprit.

I can not run WOT on the highway for fear of going limp.. Not an easy feeling when cruising at 80+ and the pedal is pretty much dead.

have you had the fuel pressure sensor replaced? i'm getting P0087 every so often myself. car won't boost past 7ish lbs when i have the code (not a true limp mode) car is producing the boost it's requesting. no MIL is thrown, as soon as i clear the code, car is back to normal. I'm having my Cam/Follower inspected next time i'm at the dealer.

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
have you had the fuel pressure sensor replaced? I'm having my Cam/Follower inspected next time i'm at the dealer.

These are what they replaced in the past 2 visits.. Each time I think it is fixed and I run strong as anything for a few days and then it comes back.

For now I am just pussy footing 5th and 6th gear, but I noticed almost all gears are not boosting like they did.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
These are what they replaced in the past 2 visits.. Each time I think it is fixed and I run strong as anything for a few days and then it comes back.

For now I am just pussy footing 5th and 6th gear, but I noticed almost all gears are not boosting like they did.

yeah i've been having a similar issue, i'm pretty sure it's cam/follower related but it is completely random, happened 3-4 times same day few weeks ago, hasn't happened since. I still drive it as i always drive it, 6th gear on the highway, WOT 2000-4500RPM. last time it happened i had the laptop hooked up took some logs. the car was requesting 7ish lbs of boost rather then the 24ish it normally requests. scanned, cleared the P0087 fault code, instantly back to normal

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
Ok, just got a call from the dealership, they said that they replaced the breather valve (PCV valve?) and the car is good to go.

I hope that was it. I had noticed a bit of oil on the engine cover by the cap.

I think maybe a BSH PCV fix might be in order soon.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
I doubt the PCV was causing an overboost code...if the PCV leaks/blown, you are UNDERboosting, not over.

07Noside

Banned
yeah i've been having a similar issue, i'm pretty sure it's cam/follower related but it is completely random, happened 3-4 times same day few weeks ago, hasn't happened since. I still drive it as i always drive it, 6th gear on the highway, WOT 2000-4500RPM. last time it happened i had the laptop hooked up took some logs. the car was requesting 7ish lbs of boost rather then the 24ish it normally requests. scanned, cleared the P0087 fault code, instantly back to normal

Your issue is fuel rail pressure. Unless you cam shaft is completely worn this will not cause an issue. Follower wear also has no bearing on a fuel rail pressure deficit, Unless you've punched through the follower and this would lead to complete and utter cataclysmic engine failure. Still you guys have had the TSB on the fuel sender etc and you still experience fuel cuts with software that requests 130bar fuel rail pressure on an OEM pump.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
Your issue is fuel rail pressure. Unless you cam shaft is completely worn this will not cause an issue. Follower wear also has no bearing on a fuel rail pressure deficit, Unless you've punched through the follower and this would lead to complete and utter cataclysmic engine failure. Still you guys have had the TSB on the fuel sender etc and you still experience fuel cuts with software that requests 130bar fuel rail pressure on an OEM pump.

correct, I have never inspected the follower/cam. I've had the sensor replaced and the issue has only be since i went to H2Oi. I have a thread. I'm under the impression a worn follower can lead to issues with fuel pressure

initialGTI

Ready to race!
I am going to say you have a leak. The dealer will not be able to replicate your problem with the stock program switched, so not sure if its useful.

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
I am going to say you have a leak. The dealer will not be able to replicate your problem with the stock program switched, so not sure if its useful.

Yeah, I'd come to this conclusion as well, but was unwilling to take it in running a performance program the first time.

At any rate, they did find a boost leak (the PCV was leaking internally and was replaced) and I had no issues on the ~ 45 minute drive home. I switched it back to 93 octane performance as soon as I left the dealership and drove with the DSG in Sport.

We'll see...

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
And......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................? Solutions solutions!