GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

205/40/18 or 215/40/18 on a 18x10?

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Hmm. I have a buddy with 215/40s on Falken 912s on an 18x9.5 (Alphards), haven't seen them yet though.

I feel liek it'd be perfect too, but is it cost effective to have an EXTRA pair of 205/40s lying around, and then have to buy 215/40s again :frown:

If I sold the 205/40s, then meh, i'd be all over the 215/40s so I'm not scared shitless about bending a lip or something.

Orly?

So...now if you were me, would you do it, while daily driving is a better question.

No, not unless I had to. Its not that I think its unsafe, its just that i think the ride quality demnishes greatly when you stretch that far. Its just a much more firm ride. If you don't mind that, then yeah go for it. a 215 is big IMO and would look chunky.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Like you said about the 205s getting to seat, whoever is mounting your tires would probably have to push almost 100 psi in those wheels to get the bead to stretch over and finally seat…

Yeah it wouldn't be fun for whoever had to mount them up, but it can be done. You'll have a harder time getting it on the wheel itself.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Like you said about the 205s getting to seat, whoever is mounting your tires would probably have to push almost 100 psi in those wheels to get the bead to stretch over and finally seat…

I think my Tire Guys would hate me for that. I asked them if they can stretch a 215/40 on a 10, he's like yeah. I wouldn't do any smaller though.

Guess I have my answer :frown:

No, not unless I had to. Its not that I think its unsafe, its just that i think the ride quality demnishes greatly when you stretch that far. Its just a much more firm ride. If you don't mind that, then yeah go for it. a 215 is big IMO and would look chunky.

Guess it's off to the 215/40s again!

:frown:

Anybody need a pair of brand new Yokohama S.Drives? (205/40/18) :biggrin:

EDIT: You think the 215/40s would look chunky and big on a 10? :eyebulge:

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
I think my Tire Guys would hate me for that. I asked them if they can stretch a 215/40 on a 10, he's like yeah. I wouldn't do any smaller though.

Guess I have my answer :frown:

Guess it's off to the 215/40s again!

:frown:

Anybody need a pair of brand new Yokohama S.Drives? (205/40/18) :biggrin:

EDIT: You think the 215/40s would look chunky and big on a 10? :eyebulge:

If you already have a set of 205s use them, and abuse them for a while. If it gets to be too much, then consider new tires. All you'd be losing is the cost of mounting and dismounting an extra time. Once your at the point you are, that should be nothing.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Phil your a wheel whore:biggrin: as much as i loved a stretch tire i myself wouldnt consider gettin to crazy on my daily. Im goin 215's on my 9" rear and i think thats crazy for a daily, lol!! So my opinion is gonna differ from others. Now like mark said 215/40's will be a bit "chunky" but i kind of dig that look :thumbsup:

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Phil your a wheel whore:biggrin: as much as i loved a stretch tire i myself wouldnt consider gettin to crazy on my daily. Im goin 215's on my 9" rear and i think thats crazy for a daily, lol!! So my opinion is gonna differ from others. Now like mark said 215/40's will be a bit "chunky" but i kind of dig that look :thumbsup:

I hate to keep whoring my car out so much, but maybe this will show what I'm talking about

205/40's look totally normal

215/40 on a 9.5

IMO its just too much sidewall. I wish I would have gone to a 205/40. I personally think it would look better. I'm not sure that extra 1/2" would kill it.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Also, consider the tire your going to be mounting. A Yoko s-drive has a very stiff sidewall. It won't stretch easy. Its a good thing. They also typically run wider than their claimed section width. Both play in your favor. I think you'd be straight on a 205/40 for a while.

If it were a falken or a dunlop dz101 or a T1R, I'd be a little weary.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Guess you guys can wait for the post where I tell you that "ohai guys, I bent a rim"

Guess i'll try the 205/40 on the 10.

Why the hell not. I do notice that Yokos do seem to run a little wider than it seems. Even the tire guy told me that. When I went from 205/40/18, the stretch on the 18x8 seemed the exact same, whereas the 18x9 was just a tad bit more.

So having a stiff sidewall is better for stretching eh? Why is that? Is that so that it seats better kinda thing?

I'm kind of retarted as to why things work out, I just know, fuck, I pay somebody $40, and it's magically on.

Doens't burst, and well, i'm good :biggrin:

EDIT: That's really true. That does seem for some reason that it looks really beefy. I never really took a picture from that kind of angle...215/40 does look meaty/beafy, on a 9.5

Hell, that extra half inch...technically 1/4 inch on each side doesn't seem like it'd make much of a difference. Guess the 205 would work?

EDIT 2: So, I've researched and found this:

Yokohama S.Drive (205/40/18)
Tread Width - 7.4 Inches

Yokohama S.Drive (215/40/18)
Tread Width - 7.7 Inches

Falken ZE-912 (215/40/18) (Old tire, using to judge stretch :biggrin:)
Tread Width - 7.7 Inches

Seems the Yoko's do run a little wider. At least in comparison to the other tires on Tire Rack.

The other 205s have a Tread Width of 7.2. Guess when we're going down to decimals, that does make quite a bit of difference, since it seems there's only .3 Inches of Tread Width between most tires, and gets up to like .4/.5 when you get into bigger sizes.

Guess I will give the 205s a try on the 10! Does anybody have any pictures of it actually? Or have seen it in person?

Would the stretch on a 205/40/18 on an 18x10 be the same/simliar as a 215/45/17 on an 17x11?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions/information again, :biggrin:

EDIT 3: I really should collect all my information together before I have a post.

WHAT ABOUT CAMBER? Am I going to have any problem if I have -4.5 (Max) camber in the rear? That's not a big deal in terms of the tire, other than the fact it'll wear up much quicker, but it's not a danger to the inner lip on the wheel is it?

EDIT 4: Found some pictures with a 205/40 on a 10! :biggrin:

Would it make a difference if it's a 205/40/16 on a 16x10, and not a 205/40/18 on an 18x10? It'd look the same right? Same width and same sidewall?

Last edited:

fuzzymk5

its a beater
Car(s)
06 cw gti
205/40 and 215/40, im actually going to down grade a bit to 9 and 10 for next year and those are the sizes im going to run, it is a lot of stretch, if u want less stretch in the rear and a 225/40

fuzzymk5

its a beater
Car(s)
06 cw gti
205/40 will fit on a 10, it takes a bit to get them on there but they def do go,
i dont have any pics of the wheels themselves but the rears are 17x10 205/40 and after doing this stretch i would highly recogmend the 215

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Ahh.

Okay, well then there's my answer!

I found a buddy willing to trade me 2 of his, well my old Falken 912s anyways, so I guess I'll mount those on the 10 when they come in then!

Thanks for everybody's help! :biggrin:

Also, fuzzy, do you have any specs on how much the rear fenders were pulled to tuck those wheels? Granted, I don't need to pull as much, but it'd be nice to know and see some before/after pictures of just the fenders from the same angle to see?

I don't mind stretch. I love stretch, I love for stretch. Poking is nice too, but subtely. But I also don't want to have to shit myself when I drive around because im scared im going to bent a rim everywhere, lol.

fuzzymk5

its a beater
Car(s)
06 cw gti
i dont have many pics but the front were like 1.25 and the rears were like 1.75

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
But your wheels were like 9.5 in the front with an even more aggressive offset right though Fuzzy?

Rears were 10.5 or something? So I probably don't even need to pull that much.

fuzzymk5

its a beater
Car(s)
06 cw gti
But your wheels were like 9.5 in the front with an even more aggressive offset right though Fuzzy?

Rears were 10.5 or something? So I probably don't even need to pull that much.

yea my oz's are 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 et32