GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the effect from lowering car with springs?

hipstomper

Go Kart Newbie
After seeing pics of Golfs lowered Ive decided it looks good enough to do it. I'm thinking of going the cheaper option with lowering springs. Any idea how this will impact the stock shocks? Also is this something the VW dealer will hassle me about when it comes to covering things under waranty? Thanks guys.

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
Many people do just lowering springs and don't have any problems. The only definite thing that will happen is that you will decrease the lifespan of your stock shocks. Since they are made for a higher ride height they will be subjected to stronger forces because of the lowering. How much will the lifespan decrease by is uncertain.

As far as your VW dealer hassling you, it depends. If you bring your car in because your headlight is full of water they can't say anything about your suspension. If you bring it in for something that is connected to suspension then they might give you a hassle. I dropped my focus 1.5" and I haven't had a problem yet with my dealer. It's the chance you take but they have to prove that the suspension caused what went wrong.

I would go with a simple cup kit (springs matched with shocks) and be done with it. If you do it right the first time the installation will be done once and it will save you time and money from doing it twice!

IT_Golf_man

Passed Driver's Ed
Cup Kit is a good suggestion. I didn't see any cupkits listed in the aftermarket suspension guide yet though. Hipstomper if you like the car lowered, then lower it. I honestly havent heard many people with lowered cars complain about their shocks dying really early or problems from dealers.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
The only downsides to lowering that I can think of are ground clearance issues. You just have to be careful that you don't take your front lip off on a speedbump or parking block/curb. Steep driveways are sometimes troublesome. And driving in fresh (unplowed) snow could be an issue as well.
But to me, these are minor inconvieneces compared to the increased sportiness you will feel from having a lowered car.
If you think it's fun to drive now, wait untill you're lowered! :biggrin: :burnrubber:
Ultimately, if you are careful you should be ok.