GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need some words of wisdom

jerm5

69=dinner for 2
Im gonna buy the H&R lowering springs, but someone said that only putting on springs will mess up the alignment cause problems etc, anyways is it cool just to get springs? and how much is it usually to install?

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
any form of lowering will change your alignment, especially camber/toe settings, that is why you will need a good alignment after lowering your vehicle. I would suggest to put 100-110 miles on your car after lowering before you take it to a shop for alignment. and no, it will not f...k up your car as long as it is done right. Good Luck

gatorfast

man amongst boys
if you can afford it I would recomend putting a new set of shocks on there as well...you will notice a huge difference over the stock shocks (plus the new springs will wear out your factory shocks soner or later)

335 Trojan

Macro FTW.
Install usually runs from about $200 (good deal) to like $350 (average)....the stealerships charge like $500 or something crazy like that.

Definitely get the alignment like scuderiavw said...if you don't, you will indeed mess up the car.

.:B

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
07 GTI
What's the difference if u do an alignment rite after u install the springs, opposed to waiting a few miles?

gti=sexy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
STI
good idea with the H&Rs, it doesnt hurt to just get the springs.
dont bother paying to get them installed, just do it yourself.
its a little work but well worth the money you will save.
I did mine in about 3 hours, all though i was working alone and didnt have the right tools for everything so it shouldnt take that long.
btw they the car looks a lot better lowered and the ride quality is almost exactly the same.
good luck

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
_bT23 said:
What's the difference if u do an alignment rite after u install the springs, opposed to waiting a few miles?

wait for the springs to settle, which does not need couple of weeks, 50-110 miles is fine.

If you dont have any experience on this, please leave it to professionals when installing, and be careful with the hid leveller.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
IMO new shocks are def worth it...if you are driving around with the lowering springs on stock shocks you may think they are fine but I prmise if you replaced the shocks it would be a night/day difference. Like I said before, this isnt absolutely mandatory but if you can spare the money then I would def recomend it. If you were getting springs like Eibach Pro kits which only lower your car about 1" I would say stock shocks should be fine for the most part but the H&R springs lower the car about 1.5" which IMO is too much to go on stock shocks. Im speaking from personal experience (I had Eibach Sportlines on my last car with factory shocks for about 2 years...I finally decided to upgrade the shocks and the difference was HUGE).

azmcs

Listen to Berk (scuderiaVW) if you don't have experience do ing this it can be very hard on MK5s.

The reason is you might have to pull the axle bolts to do it. I didn't but I had to drop the ball joint. If you don't know what this is that is your indicator that you need it done professionally.

The other option is recruiting someone locally you know who has done suspension work and buy them a case of barley soda in payment to help you out. That might be the best option.

.:B

Car(s)
07 GTI
scuderiavw said:
wait for the springs to settle, which does not need couple of weeks, 50-110 miles is fine.

If you dont have any experience on this, please leave it to professionals when installing, and be careful with the hid leveller.

Will I need to replace the axle bolts after the alignment?