GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power to Weight

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
Has anyone noticed the difference in weight from the MKIV and the MKV gti?? about 400lbs heavier than the MKIV:eyebulge: !! according to what it says on some sites the gti weighs in at 3300lbs!! i mean yea it should produce more power but with all that weight do you think it stands a chance?? post your thoughts

nomios

Touring Car Champion
Stands a chance against what?

My last car was a 200 HP 2600 lbs. MINI Cooper s... my GTI w/DSG will beat that car in 0-60 and 1/4 mile despite the weight difference.

Of course an EVO is going to smoke you. So it depends on what you are asking.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I think that something is wrong with the weights they are quoting. Perhaps someone has more info. If you download the Pdf file, the Jetta and the GTI are quoted as having the EXACT same weight. Although there may actually be a small difference, I would expect them to at least be a few pounds different.

I have also read that the dsg weighs about 3150 but I do not know if that's a dry weight or not.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
ok i just saw a review on the 3 door hatch gti and they say it weighs 1.3 tons. that about 2900lbs. hopefully this is the true weight. if the car weighs on or around this then it would be pretty quick but if it actually weighs 3300lbs than it would take alot of power to coincide with the added fat

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
This is crazy. I don't understand how a car this little can weigh so much. My Lex with me in it weighed 3535lbs.

punkey

Passed Driver's Ed
When it comes to quarter-mile times, it's a lot more about engine output graphs than it is power/weight ratios. Transmission shift points, gear change times and differential choices play a big role as well, but where the engine is involved, it's all about output curves. Put too much horsepower and torque at the high end, and it all comes in one big rush before you have to shift and then you lose it all. It's the same problem the S2000's always had. If you want to accelerate past anything at highway speed, you pretty much have to downshift so you wind up at the top of the RPM curve.

As an example, the R&T review that's in the media section has the Mini Cooper S Works and the GTI clocked in at the same 0-60 time and keeping pace with each other until 80 MPH, even though the Mini weighs 550 lbs less and puts out 207 HP. The big difference is that the GTI delivers its 200 HP at 5100-6000 RPM and 207 ft-lbs of torque at 1800 RPM, all the way to 5000 RPM, while the Mini only delivers top horsepower at the rev limiter of 6950 RPM and only has 180 ft-lbs of torque at 4500 RPM, close to the limiter. So the GTI, while weighing much more and producing slightly less power, can create its maximum power over a longer period of time and has much more rotational force available over a bigger RPM range to deliver that power to the road.