Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
o...k... then...

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
plac said:
you run yours hard. and tell us how it works out in 10 yrs.

i dont run my car hard, just thought id post up this article for some discussion, but i shouldve known...

run it in hard.... seat those rings, it's the best thing for it. dont abuse it but if you're easy on an engine you dont create enough combustion pressure to apply pressure on the rings and they wont seat to the cylinder. its not as critical on cars but its life or death on small engines like motorcycles.

theres a difference between abusing and running the living piss out of it.

i just drive my car and have spirited runs every now and then. try again :p

alf

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Oh, the horror! Just kidding. I am a licenced bike mechanic and I also own a chassis dyno for bikes. As such, after reading this linked article, I have a few comments:
1. I would recommend that all engines be warmed fully before putting HEAVY load on them. I stress heavy load as after a minute or two of stationary warm up, procceding under light load/throttle will help all the engine and chassis parts get to operating temp.
2. Change your freaking oil! this is the life blood of your car and has a great deal of influence on the performance and longevity of your motor. I like to watch the oil it's self, not the mileage. If you pull the dip stick and put a drop of oil on your finger and can see clearly through the oil, it's ok. If you use a set mileage for your changes, you may not be giving the oil a proper life. If youu flog your car and don't change often or drive sedate and change too often, you may be costing your self money.
3"3 more words on break- in:
NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least
2 full days of hard racing or 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.
After that use your favorite brand of oil. " Pleas note quotes! this is from the article, he is talking about break in and referring to two full days of hard racing-contradictory statements. Use this as a caution to all the info in the article.
That being said, I do like to use petrolium base to break in motors, but only because I dump it very quickly. If GM figures synthetic is good enough to break in vettes, I won't argue with them.
4 I take everything prettymuch to redline from the get go(remember-once warmed up!) just not by flooring it. If you accellerate gradually up to redline, you are using the full range of the motor and as such will provide good cylinder pressure to seat the rings fully and allow good/timely break in.

I offer this info only as my personal belief, in no way should it be taken as gospel (unless you want to donate to my "church"fund) and I don't want any of you Americans suing meor something crazy like that. Any good mechanic will have their own opinions and it is always good to talk to a couple and compare the answers you get.

I fully intend to spend great deal of time at or near redline in about three weeks (four hours, seven minutes, etc,etc..), after proper warm up of couse...

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
After reading bigdynos' book, just be careful....running it moderately wont hurt, but obviously its safer than running it hard constantly. The thing is, the article is telling you the complete opposite of what you've always known as a new car driver...? Be safe

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I just keep it under 4 grand till it is broke in.....well I try to.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Hey First post so please excuse the noob...:wink:

but i would like to put my $.02 in this convo

i currently own a 2000 Honda Civic Si...bought it brand new from my once local honda dealer with 14 miles on it...i left the parking lot of the dealer doing a burnout(what can i say i love the smell of tire smoke)

later on that evening after driving around alittle and washing the car i took it to the local street races to meet up with some friends and my brother...well needless to say i ended up doing a top end run in my brand new car that had 32 miles on it at that point and the car hit right about 130mph

well fast forward 6 years later and the car has been on nitrous...had minor motor work...things like cams,port and polish nothing major

and the car runs like a champ...NEVER had any motor problems

and my first car which was a 95 civic Si was treated the same way

well the moral of my story is i really think with the newer cars these days its not nessesary to break them in...granted this isnt the most reliable test nor am i an engineer...but just my experiences from real world driving

BTW: sometime this weekend im picking up an 06 GTi in Black Magic with Pkg 2 and 18's :headbang:

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
when i went to the local dealership to test drive the gti the salesman said for me to take it as fast as i want and work it as hard as i want... sorry for being a smarta$$ but if a dealership lets you testdrive the crap out of a car then why not run it hard in the cars lower milages to me it makes no sense to baby something bcuz with anything when you baby it and then later on you randomly start hitting it hard, it will not be use to it and it will fight back...
Just My 2cent

Cjeckert

Drag Racing Champion
If vw is like most of the other german car manufactureres the engine is already "broken in" before it is shiped off to be instaled into a car. You can drive it easy but the rings are already seated in.