GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf MK5 detuned from the factory. Possible factory chip tuning to 220-230hp

35NYR

Ready to race!
I've been reading that the 2.0T in the MKV is detuned somehow from the factory? Are the chips that will be available from tuners going to somehow re-tune the engine back to its potential (and more?)? Anyone know how powerful the engine was before being "detuned"?

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
Actually just read this like 5 minutes ago:

This is some thing that is very prelim info and was discussed at the Jan dealer advisory council. the exact wording on the outline was under bullet topic.

Existing Product Needs discussed and agreed to be explored: GTI/GLI: engine tuning to increase horsepower (220-230hp) the possibilities to be explored include providing dealers an approved, technically valid means to "chip tune" the engine.

Now you have the words as i have them. anything past this is speculation as of right now. as bettter information comes down the pipe I or some one else will update the tex.

35NYR

Ready to race!
OMG that would be so freakin awesome! :headbang: Can you imagine a factory GTI with 220-230hp!! For the guy asking if he should wait for a R32 or R36.. no more need to wait!! :D

Please post more news about this when you hear something definitive. Maybe I'll hold off on getting my car until they sort this out so I don't have to bring my car back to get chip tuned by the dealer later.

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing news if true. All the magazines would have to re-review the new factory chip tuned GTI's and would no doubt have even higher praise for these cars.

35NYR I've edited your thread title to reflect the news on possible factory chip tuning of this engine.

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
I actually got this post from vortex where I get most of my info as I have to give credit where credit is due. He mentioned that the dealers won't even know of this bulletin yet so don't bother going to your dealer to ask about it.

Gulfer

Administrator
Staff member
Car(s)
Nothing
Detuned from the factory is...

:clap: :clap:

Easy tuning for us, I love it. Kind of a way to sneak us a faster car then ppl might think

99swift99

Go Kart Champion
Is VW doing this out of their pockets or maybe they're going to make people who already have GTI's before this chip comes out pay for the upgrade. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that maybe VW detuned the engine on purpose so it can later sell an upgrade chip :D

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
99swift99 said:
Is VW doing this out of their pockets or maybe they're going to make people who already have GTI's before this chip comes out pay for the upgrade. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that maybe VW detuned the engine on purpose so it can later sell an upgrade chip :D

I don't think you're too far off!

EK_Turbo

Ready to race!
This is why I love turbo cars. No matter what they always seem detuned from the factory and always have some space for some power upgrades. Compare that to natural aspirated engines which have so little room to improve on.

hipstomper

Go Kart Newbie
Gulfer said:
Detuned from the factory is...

:clap: :clap:

Easy tuning for us, I love it. Kind of a way to sneak us a faster car then ppl might think

You can bet the tuners are all rubbing their hands and saliva dripping at this news. VW is telling them even before they have to put any $$ into R&D that there's good upside to this engine. :drool:

99swift99

Go Kart Champion
hipstomper said:
You can bet the tuners are all rubbing their hands and saliva dripping at this news. VW is telling them even before they have to put any $$ into R&D that there's good upside to this engine. :drool:

The aftermarket tuners better come up with better numbers or people will choose the factory chip for warranty. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.

chopstik

Ready to race!
MyFast said:
any latest info on this subject guys?

i think i read on vwvortex that the software upgrade will be like $400 for people that already have a gti......whether they make it standard, i have no idea.....or course, i could be totally wrong, but that's what i read

Rabbit222

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Our club had a dyno day 2 weeks back and I must tell you, many stock GTIs were producing between 170 and 179BHP At the WHEELS! Thats stronger than the claimed 200HP At the FLYWHEEL.