GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to the MKV fam...I have a couple of simple questions

BecauseTheInternet

I drove away with an 09 GTI last weekend and loving it so far. It didn't come with an owner's manual so I am still figuring out what some of this stuff does.

On the MFD, for example when I am looking at my MPG, there are two options with different readings (1 or 2). I want to assume that one is trip and one is overall? I found a post about what the MFD options do but nothing about the display readings.

Also it came with iPod connectivity, does that mean there is no AUX input? Is there a way to add an AUX input? I don't have an iPod and I use my phone for streaming music. Right now I am using an old FM transmitter that I had from my last car and the sound is not that great.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
I believe that option one keeps tabs on the current driving time. So after the car sits for a certain amount of time, maybe two hours then #1 will reset. #2 never resets until manually done by you.

is your iPod connector in the arm rest?

I think you'll find the best and easiest thing to do is just to buy a new stereo. This is what I did....it's really easy to do and you can get a nice blue tooth stereo with all parts for less than $200. Seriously its the best thing to do. I racked my brain for ever trying to find a way to hook up my Android through the OEM set up.

BecauseTheInternet

Yeah it is in the armrest so I will have to consider that then. Bluetooth connectivity would be even better. I'll see what I can find, did you get one in particular?

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
It is a Pioneer 360-BT I think. Got it from Crutchfield.com. I was looking the other day and noticed it's not listed anywhere however most have Bluetooth connectivity and are very affordable. Hook up was a cinch, I was scared though cause I never did that before but it worked out just fine.

TLKre

You can add aux inputs with certain kits sold from like ECS. Most of them make the aux come out of the armrest or one of the 4 buttons where the ESP button is. I'd search MKv aux DIY before you pulled the trigger on a new unit...just my input

ben.nieuwenhuis

Passed Driver's Ed
double apex has a great auxiliary input...looks just like it should have from the factory...love mine never had any problems!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
VW at one point made an aux cable (3.5mm jack) that you jumped off of the back of the headunit. I have it on mine but can't remember the part number. I searched and found the part number somewhere and ordered it through my local dealership. Took me all of 15min to install, have been using it for about 4 years with no problems. All on the factory radio.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I had the premium 7 with satellite, it was ok but I had to have the phone button. OEM parts were $2-300 when I looked. I got a double din Kenwood instead, better output, streaming bluetooth and built-in connectivity with pandora and Iheartradio. Pioneer has been my unit of choice until this car.

jessdakota

JessDakota
Car(s)
07 GTI MKV
Check the Glove box for an Aux port... My '07 has one there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eruben123

Check the top shelf of the glove box! Owners manual is hidden up in there!

g.anderson8

Mine is an 09. My aux is inside the center console armrest thing as well. I second what eruben said as well. I thought my manual was missing but it's got a little home tucked away in the glove box.

Random trick I learned recently...If you get out and realize you've left a window down or the sunroof open, put your key in the door, twist to lock the doors, then hold the key there for a few seconds. The windows will roll up and the roof will close. Works in reverse too. Hold your key in the unlock position and you can crack your windows open.

BecauseTheInternet

Thanks, I'll double check the glovebox for the manual and AUX port. I took a quick look but didn't see anything but I know what to look for now.

I did some more research and some people swapped the units with a RCN-210 unit which looks OEM and has Bluetooth and is somewhat cheap off ebay (~$100). The Doubleapex AUX ports look clean too and afforable. Thanks for all your suggestions.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Even with an oem Bluetooth unit, you will have to buy a Bluetooth module, harness, and microphone. It adds up fast.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Random trick I learned recently...If you get out and realize you've left a window down or the sunroof open, put your key in the door, twist to lock the doors, then hold the key there for a few seconds. The windows will roll up and the roof will close. Works in reverse too. Hold your key in the unlock position and you can crack your windows open.

And with a VCDS, you can enable the feature where you can do it from the key fob! Lots of nice details on these cars.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
On the MFD, for example when I am looking at my MPG, there are two options with different readings (1 or 2). I want to assume that one is trip and one is overall? I found a post about what the MFD options do but nothing about the display readings.

Yep, one resets automatically when the car hasn't been on for a bit, like a couple hours. The other resets manually or I think when you disconnect the battery.