GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking noise from chassis?

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
The best way to describe it is a creaking noise coming from the front of the chassis when I turn the steering wheel. My car's about 10 months old, and this noise just started maybe a few weeks ago. It's mostly noticeable at very slow speeds when turning the wheel, especially when parallel parking. I've got about 13,500 miles on her, and have been to all my scheduled maintenances on time. The only chassis related mod I've made is the dogbone insert mount; wouldn't think that would cause this though. Other that it being annoying, is this something I should be concerned with? Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas what it could be? Rack and pinion? CV joint? Would the chassis twist at all when turning the wheel?

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
sounds like the sub-frame bolts. i had the guys at the dealership tighten them but it stopped making the noise for... a day. it's so loud too, it's kinda embarrassing because i know everybody can hear it from outside.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but the noises started once the weather became really warm outside.

-wiretap-

hax0r
Yup.. mine just started doing it too. I have about 10,000 miles on my car. It reminds me of the sound my mother's Camaro made when it needed new ball joints.

kenrsx04

I have the some experience. I have 15000miles on my car. I still haven't figure out what wrong with it. I brought it back to the dealer and did a test drive with the mechanic; however, we could not reproduce the sound. He put my car on the lift, but couldn't find any thing loose. So he told me to bring it back when I can constantly reproduce the sound.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
Yeah, mine happens every time now. It sounds like a creaking boat every time turn the wheel to park my car.

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
there are several threads about this already... but anyways, i had this same problem a few weeks after i bought my car... it was very annoying and became very loud at times... go to the dealer and tell them to replace your strut mounts and bearings... i had this done and no noise ever since

MasterGunnZ

The sex
Car(s)
GTI
I had the same problem with my rabbit. In the mornings whenever I would be backing up as I turn the steering wheel it would make a creaking noise.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
Thanks guys, I'll have the dealer check this out.

ftj

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey i just cant believe it i have the exact same problem with my car since new and my car is at the dealers for it's nineth day and they cannot figure it out. They have replaced spring, shock, steering rack and still at very low speeds when i turn left or right there is a noise which sounds like somethings snaps for a brief moment. I dont know if that's the same noise we are talking about here but it's getting really frustrating since i dont have my car for 9 days now and i've already been 5 times to the dealers before this. Last time i gave them my car and said if they cannot fix it in 45 days i want my money back.

rcnu71299: I think they have already replaced strut mount but im not sure for the bearings? if you could explain me more i would be grateful.

-wiretap-

hax0r
@ ftj

Yup.. mine does that exact noise you describe.

CottonTail

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the very same problem on my '98 Jetta. It would make a loud popping noise when I backed out of my garage & made a slight turn. It sometimes felt like the wheel got stuck on something. I replaced the strut mounts & bearings & the noise returned in about 2 months. Go figure...... I've driven VW's for over 30 yrs & the '98 Jetta is the only one that had that problem.

So far my '07 Rabbit is just fine.

Doctor7474

Ready to race!
I'm dropping my car off at the dealer in the morning for this so we'll see what happens. Plus my sunglass holder won't stay shut since it got really really hot this week.