GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indecision on a catback

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Hey guys, I am going in to change my faulty timing chain tensioner, chains, guides, and rails. While I'm there I'm getting a dog bone mount installed and I cannot decide if I want to add a catback to my catless DP. I think my car sounds good when I get on it now but only when I get on it. I kind of want a deeper exhaust tone all the time.

I was looking at eurojet catback to go with the eurojet DP. But the mechanic is "highly recommending" Magnaflow. If I am going to get a catback I would seriously like one without a lot of drone since my GTI is a daily driver.

If anyone has any advice on if I should or shouldn't do it or what to get I would greatly appreciate it.

Help me decide!

tedted

catless 3" dp to a glasspack to 2.5" straight out.
cold starts are always loud but once the car warms up its pretty quite driving around town. Once I crack open the boost it gets loud but I notice I dont get the whirly turbo spooling sound. I was told that turbos kind of help muffle the sound until you open it up.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I don't have drone. Got a TT catless turbo-back with a single Borla.
My y-tube channel has a few vids of just driving around: https://www.youtube.com/user/zoomdis/videos

I see folks review a double performance muffler on catless turbo-backs saying very deep sounding. But you should love any catback with a single muffler having a flow-through design.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Awesome. Love the feedback. Thanks fellas!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Catless downpipe + Magnaflow = loud & can drone. Boomy in the cabin too...not very "refined."
Deep at idle though, lol

I'd probably look at a Borla or AWE instead, personally.

The Autotech exhaust is a rebadged Magnaflow btw, so here are some examples of catless + Autotech/Magnaflow:

On a MK6, but similar:

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Catless downpipe + Magnaflow = loud & can drone. Boomy in the cabin too...not very "refined."
Deep at idle though, lol

I'd probably look at a Borla or AWE instead, personally.

The Autotech exhaust is a rebadged Magnaflow btw, so here are some examples of catless + Autotech/Magnaflow:

On a MK6, but similar:

The last video is loud but that sounds so gooood...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
That wasn't my video, but I had that same exact setup on my MK6 too (ATP catless downpipe + Magnaflow cat-back) and it was horrible for a DD.
All sorts of rattles & vibrations in the cabin (made the car feel cheap)....along with being VERY boomy & it droned

I ended up switching to a resonated EuroJet downpipe instead, but it was still kinda loud

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
^^^
That wasn't my video, but I had that same exact setup on my MK6 too (ATP catless downpipe + Magnaflow cat-back) and it was horrible for a DD.
All sorts of rattles & vibrations in the cabin (made the car feel cheap)....along with being VERY boomy & it droned

I ended up switching to a resonated EuroJet downpipe instead, but it was still kinda loud

hmm, exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks so much for this dude...

ChainGangGTI

I have a 09 VW TSI GTI. I want to go catless, does anyone know of a good down pipe that will not throw a "MIL" light or know of any tunes that will turn it off?I also have a friend that works at a smog shop, so passing isn't my main concern.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I have a 09 VW TSI GTI. I want to go catless, does anyone know of a good down pipe that will not throw a "MIL" light or know of any tunes that will turn it off?I also have a friend that works at a smog shop, so passing isn't my main concern.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Nearly every aftermarket downpipe (catted & non-cat) will throw a code unless you're stage 2 tuned.

tedted

ebay all day.

and no you will not necessarily throw a code.... I have my wifes tiggy with an ebay catless dp with a spark plug spacer and ive never seen a code.