GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just toasting 10.5 years and over 135k miles with this MK5

odanny

My '08 is at 79.8k and will hit 80k before the first regular season pass of 2017 is thrown. Still looks new, still drives amazing, and since I've owned it (2013) I've had no mechanical issues with it at all.

Am curious what scheduled maintenance people would suggest at the 80k or 100k mark (coil packs, transmission fluid and filter, belts, etc….)

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Second owner had my 2009 MKV DSG (TSI motor) for 5 years. Total miles is 85,386. It's been a great car and the best of all the GTi's I've owned as far as fun factor. I've owned every generation GTi, except MK IV.

I just bought a 2017 GTi Sport DSG in May and I was going to sell the 2009 MK V, but now my girlfriend drives it. Her "05 Ford Escape gave out for good the other day. She was totally against driving a smaller car until she was "forced" to because she needed transportation.

Now she loves her "zoom, zoom" car. She admitted she didn't know what she was missing. Before she was a slow, timid driver, now she's more aggressive. But to be fair and SUV vs. a compact sporty car........who wouldn't drive more spiritedly. She says she has the confidence to drive quicker now. Her Ford SUV didn't inspire confidence driving at a faster pace.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
My '08 is at 79.8k and will hit 80k before the first regular season pass of 2017 is thrown. Still looks new, still drives amazing, and since I've owned it (2013) I've had no mechanical issues with it at all.

Am curious what scheduled maintenance people would suggest at the 80k or 100k mark (coil packs, transmission fluid and filter, belts, etc….)

Really depends on if you have the FSI or TSI motor. I have a TSI motor and DSG transmission. I just did the tranny fluid and filter at 80K miles as recommended. I am going to replace the water pump and drive belt this month at 85K miles and for peace of mind the timing chain tensioner which is a known weak point.

If you haven't already change the plugs and coil packs. I did that at 70K miles and still had the original plugs in at that time. I replaced all coil packs as another peace of mind maintenance as they can be weak points.

I have Carabino intake with an cotton filter than needs cleaning and oiling about twice a year. If you have a stock intake, replace the filter.

FSI engines have more issues, but if you haven't replaced the timing belt, that would be the first thing I'd do.

Other can chime in about FSI maintenance.

P.s. just noticed you have a Rabbit, not GTi so the above doesn't pertain so much.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It says it's a Rabbit 2.5L...under his avatar.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Love the stories here...I used to put over 15k/yr on it until 2014. Got injured at work in 2008...went to school when recovered up to 2014...and stay home now. Work was a 50 mile round trip and school was a 70 mile round trip. It's good seeing many of the MK5 originals still here. Also, I want to say thanks to all of you for being so helpful and kind. I know many of you have helped me, sent me a part at family rate, and helped keeping this a productive site. Cheers to another 10+ years with you all.

Almost lost it today though. I was waiting to turn onto my street...sitting there with the turn signal on...and I happened to look up at the rear view mirror to see a large white and chrome front end of a Ford pick-up at full speed just about to plow in to me. He must've slammed on his brakes with less than 12ft between us and I was just able to get off the brakes and shoot forward. He slid to the left, partly because steering to avoid hitting me, and nearly plowed into the oncoming traffic I was waiting on so I could turn. Fate that I looked up and thought to pull forward quickly or I would've lost it...both the MK5 and on him.

Glad you got away man. I've had my lucky moments, once I was sitting at a light not too far from home, waiting to get onto a 3-lane avenue, when suddenly I see a car on my 10 o'clock coming right at me, I didn't even notice how it happened. He hit the traffic light pole which I was lucky it didn't collapse, it just bent a bit and I was right behind it, like 10 feet away. Guy was ok, not sure about his car.

Sooo, will be 10 years in November here, maybe I should get her something haha. Drove around like crazy in the first couple years and then calmed down. About a year later I got my tune so I got excited once again, started taking the car to go to the grocery store that is like 5 minutes on foot, to carry a 3 pound bag. Been on and off since, like every next mod would instantly get me behind the wheel, until it got old. Now I only have 76k miles, but it's not my dd.

Props to all of you loyal MK5ers and cheers to another 10+ years!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Really depends on if you have the FSI or TSI motor. I have a TSI motor and DSG transmission. I just did the tranny fluid and filter at 80K miles as recommended. I am going to replace the water pump and drive belt this month at 85K miles and for peace of mind the timing chain tensioner which is a known weak point.

If you haven't already change the plugs and coil packs. I did that at 70K miles and still had the original plugs in at that time. I replaced all coil packs as another peace of mind maintenance as they can be weak points.

I have Carabino intake with an cotton filter than needs cleaning and oiling about twice a year. If you have a stock intake, replace the filter.

FSI engines have more issues, but if you haven't replaced the timing belt, that would be the first thing I'd do.

Other can chime in about FSI maintenance.

P.s. just noticed you have a Rabbit, not GTi so the above doesn't pertain so much.

I would strongly beg to differ on the FSI having more issues. Don't get me wrong, they aren't perfect but ill take it over the laundry list of issues the TSI has. Look at my FSI that is an 06 with 150k miles and my TSI that's an 09 with 60k miles and you would never believe the FSI has more miles.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Congrats! I must have gotten mine right around the same time as you did. 10.5 years, 185k and still going strong despite a few minor issues. Still haven't found many reasons to get a new one, but slowly some of the options are trickling over here which may at some point change my mind.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Congrats! I must have gotten mine right around the same time as you did. 10.5 years, 185k and still going strong despite a few minor issues. Still haven't found many reasons to get a new one, but slowly some of the options are trickling over here which may at some point change my mind.

Agreed...as long as I can keep this one going I'll not change it up. Been seeing other Mk5's recently where they have not been attended to as diligently as I do and they are looking like junk. Makes me sad, but the owners do not care much and lack commitment to learn of their car. Just noticed a small hole in the leather in my driver seat bottom...going to let it go for a bit as I need new brakes; discs and pads because ECS stage 3 kit = no turning the discs. But will likely order a factory seat bottom cover. All other seats rarely get used.