GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions
Parts4Euro

Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #23
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Drives: 2007 mkv gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedGrayMK5 View Post
Damn! Those drilled fog light housing holes look badass man! Dig the red too!

9 years on my car, 104k she's getting old but still pulling strong
Thank you...and good on you for keeping yours going.

Lately been thinking about paint, if and when the damned paint will ever wear, about switching it up with 'Nardo/or Battleship' Grey. Might just do a vinyl in the color.
GIAC K04&DSG files/AWE DV/APR HPFP/Torqbyte PM3/TTRS LPFP/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc,WG act.&TB HOSE/Techtonics TB/Custom Turbo Outlet/BSH Mounts/NEUS. P-FLO&throttle pipe/13.2"BBK/W.A.L.K./H&R SS/H&R F&R-ARB's/Bilstein B8 Dampers My Dragtime link-GIAC tune2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH
ROH ECHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #24
oleve
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: x5
Looks great! Congrats!
oleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #25
sturat_7
VAG collector

Drives: 07 gti pkg 2
just turned 147k. People ask me how new is it? I'm you get similar comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inc55 View Post
Is there a way to disable the turbo? All that speed is bothering me.
sturat_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleve View Post
Looks great! Congrats!
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturat_7 View Post
just turned 147k. People ask me how new is it? I'm you get similar comments.
Yeah, me too. People's faces when I say "it's a 2007, got it in Nov. 2006". We must be doing right by them.
GIAC K04&DSG files/AWE DV/APR HPFP/Torqbyte PM3/TTRS LPFP/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc,WG act.&TB HOSE/Techtonics TB/Custom Turbo Outlet/BSH Mounts/NEUS. P-FLO&throttle pipe/13.2"BBK/W.A.L.K./H&R SS/H&R F&R-ARB's/Bilstein B8 Dampers My Dragtime link-GIAC tune2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH
Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #27
clownish
just clowning around

Drives: Mk5 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROH ECHT View Post
Thank you

Yeah, me too. People's faces when I say "it's a 2007, got it in Nov. 2006". We must be doing right by them.

To most people a specific car's generations are indistinguishable.

Looking good! Mine @ 146,000 mi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
golfballer78
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 08'.:R32
Shit son, I gotz little over 200k on .:R32, running fine
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #29
thygreyt
Racekor.

Drives: vw jetta 2009 2.5T
Hello! A 8.5 year old (01/23/09) checking in with 137k miles and going! Great to see others on the road!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
thygreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #30
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownish View Post
To most people a specific car's generations are indistinguishable.

Looking good! Mine @ 146,000 mi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very Purdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
Hello! A 8.5 year old (01/23/09) checking in with 137k miles and going! Great to see others on the road!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Congrats...just went over 139k last week. Got the 140k coming soon...but it's just oil & filter, cam follower, and tire rotate The 150k will be much more
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #31
odanny
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2008 Rabbit
My '08 is at 79.8k and will hit 80k before the first regular season pass of 2017 is thrown. Still looks new, still drives amazing, and since I've owned it (2013) I've had no mechanical issues with it at all.

Am curious what scheduled maintenance people would suggest at the 80k or 100k mark (coil packs, transmission fluid and filter, belts, etc….)
odanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #32
heiney9
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2009 GTi - 2.0TSi - DSG
Second owner had my 2009 MKV DSG (TSI motor) for 5 years. Total miles is 85,386. It's been a great car and the best of all the GTi's I've owned as far as fun factor. I've owned every generation GTi, except MK IV.

I just bought a 2017 GTi Sport DSG in May and I was going to sell the 2009 MK V, but now my girlfriend drives it. Her "05 Ford Escape gave out for good the other day. She was totally against driving a smaller car until she was "forced" to because she needed transportation.

Now she loves her "zoom, zoom" car. She admitted she didn't know what she was missing. Before she was a slow, timid driver, now she's more aggressive. But to be fair and SUV vs. a compact sporty car........who wouldn't drive more spiritedly. She says she has the confidence to drive quicker now. Her Ford SUV didn't inspire confidence driving at a faster pace.
heiney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #33
heiney9
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2009 GTi - 2.0TSi - DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
My '08 is at 79.8k and will hit 80k before the first regular season pass of 2017 is thrown. Still looks new, still drives amazing, and since I've owned it (2013) I've had no mechanical issues with it at all.

Am curious what scheduled maintenance people would suggest at the 80k or 100k mark (coil packs, transmission fluid and filter, belts, etc….)
Really depends on if you have the FSI or TSI motor. I have a TSI motor and DSG transmission. I just did the tranny fluid and filter at 80K miles as recommended. I am going to replace the water pump and drive belt this month at 85K miles and for peace of mind the timing chain tensioner which is a known weak point.

If you haven't already change the plugs and coil packs. I did that at 70K miles and still had the original plugs in at that time. I replaced all coil packs as another peace of mind maintenance as they can be weak points.

I have Carabino intake with an cotton filter than needs cleaning and oiling about twice a year. If you have a stock intake, replace the filter.

FSI engines have more issues, but if you haven't replaced the timing belt, that would be the first thing I'd do.

Other can chime in about FSI maintenance.

P.s. just noticed you have a Rabbit, not GTi so the above doesn't pertain so much.
heiney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #34
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

It says it's a Rabbit 2.5L...under his avatar.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #35
sacman
Oval Newbie

Drives: GTI
My 2008 FSI with DSG just turned 165Kmiles this morning.
sacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #36
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman View Post
My 2008 FSI with DSG just turned 165Kmiles this morning.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #37
DarkX
Your Boss :P

Drives: GTI Edition 30 DSG
Send a message via MSN to DarkX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROH ECHT View Post
Love the stories here...I used to put over 15k/yr on it until 2014. Got injured at work in 2008...went to school when recovered up to 2014...and stay home now. Work was a 50 mile round trip and school was a 70 mile round trip. It's good seeing many of the MK5 originals still here. Also, I want to say thanks to all of you for being so helpful and kind. I know many of you have helped me, sent me a part at family rate, and helped keeping this a productive site. Cheers to another 10+ years with you all.

Almost lost it today though. I was waiting to turn onto my street...sitting there with the turn signal on...and I happened to look up at the rear view mirror to see a large white and chrome front end of a Ford pick-up at full speed just about to plow in to me. He must've slammed on his brakes with less than 12ft between us and I was just able to get off the brakes and shoot forward. He slid to the left, partly because steering to avoid hitting me, and nearly plowed into the oncoming traffic I was waiting on so I could turn. Fate that I looked up and thought to pull forward quickly or I would've lost it...both the MK5 and on him.
Glad you got away man. I've had my lucky moments, once I was sitting at a light not too far from home, waiting to get onto a 3-lane avenue, when suddenly I see a car on my 10 o'clock coming right at me, I didn't even notice how it happened. He hit the traffic light pole which I was lucky it didn't collapse, it just bent a bit and I was right behind it, like 10 feet away. Guy was ok, not sure about his car.

Sooo, will be 10 years in November here, maybe I should get her something haha. Drove around like crazy in the first couple years and then calmed down. About a year later I got my tune so I got excited once again, started taking the car to go to the grocery store that is like 5 minutes on foot, to carry a 3 pound bag. Been on and off since, like every next mod would instantly get me behind the wheel, until it got old. Now I only have 76k miles, but it's not my dd.

Props to all of you loyal MK5ers and cheers to another 10+ years!

2007 Diamond Black ED30 DSG :: 370+ hp :: 460+ nm :: ECU REVO stage 2+ :: DSG REVO stage 2 :: Maxogen ITG intake :: Exhaustflow TBE 76mm :: HJS 200cell 130mm cat :: Autotech HPFP :: APR IC :: DV revision D :: NGK R8 coils :: NGK BKR8EIX spark plugs :: StopTech ST41 BBK :: Neuspeed drilled rear rotors :: Goodridge rear lines :: Toyo Proxes R888 tires 225/40/ZR18 (92Y) :: KW coilovers > BUILD | GARAGE | DYNO <
DarkX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:19 AM   #38
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 06 CW GTI DSG/09 UG GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
Really depends on if you have the FSI or TSI motor. I have a TSI motor and DSG transmission. I just did the tranny fluid and filter at 80K miles as recommended. I am going to replace the water pump and drive belt this month at 85K miles and for peace of mind the timing chain tensioner which is a known weak point.

If you haven't already change the plugs and coil packs. I did that at 70K miles and still had the original plugs in at that time. I replaced all coil packs as another peace of mind maintenance as they can be weak points.

I have Carabino intake with an cotton filter than needs cleaning and oiling about twice a year. If you have a stock intake, replace the filter.

FSI engines have more issues, but if you haven't replaced the timing belt, that would be the first thing I'd do.

Other can chime in about FSI maintenance.

P.s. just noticed you have a Rabbit, not GTi so the above doesn't pertain so much.

I would strongly beg to differ on the FSI having more issues. Don't get me wrong, they aren't perfect but ill take it over the laundry list of issues the TSI has. Look at my FSI that is an 06 with 150k miles and my TSI that's an 09 with 60k miles and you would never believe the FSI has more miles.
Das Gespenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #39
Natalie
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2007 GTI
Congrats! I must have gotten mine right around the same time as you did. 10.5 years, 185k and still going strong despite a few minor issues. Still haven't found many reasons to get a new one, but slowly some of the options are trickling over here which may at some point change my mind.
Natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #40
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
Congrats! I must have gotten mine right around the same time as you did. 10.5 years, 185k and still going strong despite a few minor issues. Still haven't found many reasons to get a new one, but slowly some of the options are trickling over here which may at some point change my mind.
Agreed...as long as I can keep this one going I'll not change it up. Been seeing other Mk5's recently where they have not been attended to as diligently as I do and they are looking like junk. Makes me sad, but the owners do not care much and lack commitment to learn of their car. Just noticed a small hole in the leather in my driver seat bottom...going to let it go for a bit as I need new brakes; discs and pads because ECS stage 3 kit = no turning the discs. But will likely order a factory seat bottom cover. All other seats rarely get used.