GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust "gunk"

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Short trips will result in poor mpg unfortunately. I have a 20 mile trip to work and my car won't hit the 30mpg mark until there is about 4/5 mi left. It stays at 25/6 until about 3/4 the way through my commute. I drive about 2/3 highway, 1/3 city. Take it for a nice loooonnnggg drive and you will see it pic it back up a bit. If i drive only my commute and around town stuff, my mpg will drop hard. I will usually drive from Milwaukee to Madison 100mi once a month just to stretch its legs and bring back the fuel economy.

Jekyll

Word.
Car(s)
07 GTI
Short trips will result in poor mpg unfortunately. I have a 20 mile trip to work and my car won't hit the 30mpg mark until there is about 4/5 mi left. It stays at 25/6 until about 3/4 the way through my commute. I drive about 2/3 highway, 1/3 city. Take it for a nice loooonnnggg drive and you will see it pic it back up a bit. If i drive only my commute and around town stuff, my mpg will drop hard. I will usually drive from Milwaukee to Madison 100mi once a month just to stretch its legs and bring back the fuel economy.

Thanks for the feedback! :smile:

KenTX

No, Money Down!
Would running "richer" also add to the additional fuel consumption?

Yes, rich=more fuel, which usually gives you more power. Downsides can be lower fuel economy, more exhaust soot, fouled spark plugs/cats/o2 sensors, and oil contamination. The FSI is one of the dirtiest engines I've ever seen right out of the factory, and tuning it wont help.

Running lean = less fuel. Downsides can be higher engine/exhaust temps, pinging (detonation), loss of power, and in extreme cases, catastrophic failure.

My city mpg is usually in the mid to high teens, and I can pull maybe 24 if I drive like a grandma. I have no self control, so I pay at the pump. :drool:

Jekyll

Word.
Car(s)
07 GTI
Yes, rich=more fuel, which usually gives you more power. Downsides can be lower fuel economy, more exhaust soot, fouled spark plugs/cats/o2 sensors, and oil contamination. The FSI is one of the dirtiest engines I've ever seen right out of the factory, and tuning it wont help.

Running lean = less fuel. Downsides can be higher engine/exhaust temps, pinging (detonation), loss of power, and in extreme cases, catastrophic failure.

My city mpg is usually in the mid to high teens, and I can pull maybe 24 if I drive like a grandma. I have no self control, so I pay at the pump. :drool:

Well explained KenTX, thanks.

Anyone know what the numbers are for lean vs rich and what the ideal is for stg2? Thanks in advance.