GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Engine Making Ticking Sounds

sikkony

Civil Engineer
Hi guys,

MK5 GTI FSI, Stock Engine

I serviced the car early January 2011. Used it till 3rd week of January. Everything was 100% fine.

Left it in the garage unused ever since till just 2 weeks ago.

Now when I start it up from a cold start, after the engine starts to idle at a constant speed (not that initial 1 to 2min where it's idles higher and comes down), a ticking sound starts to occur.

Sounds like when you are trembling in cold weather and your teeth are jittering.

I put in a new tank of RON98 thinking the old fuel has gone off... but nope.

Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtFNKR73uI8
In the video it starts when I start zooming in on the engine, and the sound source seems to be where I'm zooming into.

What is it? Should I be worried? Car drives fine though.

vagike

nothing out of the ordinary to me.... sounds like loud injectors.

maybe just work the motor a bit... could be some valve train noise from it sitting for so long and the hydraulic lash adjusters bled out.

ecoterragaia

Ready to race!
I hear the extra sharp ticking over the injectors that you're talking about. It sounds a lot like an EVAP purge solenoid valve that's going bad. Well, not really going bad, but at least gotten louder. If that's the issue, sometimes it'll go away on it's own after driving it for a bit. It's not detrimental to the engine if it's not repaired right away, but can be very annoying. You can check the EVAP valve by disconnecting the vacuum line which activates the valve. If the ticking stops that's your issue, however, you'll likely get an emissions CEL by doing this.

If the EVAP purge valve is not the problem, then I'm not sure what to tell you short of checking for sticky intake/exhaust valves or valves not seating correctly.

vagike

was that video shot while the engine was cold? I find my make alot of noise too when it is cold, but I found out that the ECU does a double pulse to the injectors when the engine is cold.

APR posted a video of FSI injectors being bench tested, and I couldn't get over how loud they were in the video.

I think this is the video but not sure cause i'm at work, and firewalls suck.

http://www.goapr.com/media/videos/D69781F1EAEF5601/5CF7307F32D3229B/

Have a listen and see if any of the rpm tests match what you are hearing.

sikkony

Civil Engineer
Thanks all for the replies. Greatly appreciated and very helpful (Y).

From the top of my head though, I don't remember the car's engine sounding like this, although I do agree with Elliott that it sounds like a diesel at times, right now that ticking sound is just a bit... too loud now.

ecoterragaia - It does seem to be coming from that, at least from my ears. I have no idea how to take it apart though. I will just leave it there then.

vagike - It sounds somewhat like that in the video, especially at the start of the video when the injectors haven't sprayed simultaneously yet, but the sound isn't exactly like it. The audio in my video is poor.

I guess if it gets worse, I'll re-record the sound using a studio microphone (that means I need to lug out the amps and stuff!). I think using anything besides that won't do justice, the sound always comes off sounding different from unprofessional recording units :(

Thanks again for the prompt and helpful replies, I do feel better now and not too worried anymore! :)

alphabits

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GLI
Someone is an audiophile, sikkony! :D I know what you mean man, for the first few weeks I had my car (I think it sat for a loooong while) it sounded pretty rough. Def. sounded like something was wrong. Over the years, it has quieted down and I have gotten used to the noise (It REALLY does sound like a diesel, lol) and now I know when something is off.

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
(It REALLY does sound like a diesel, lol)

lol it really does.. i hate the way the mkv gti engine sounds when its tickin over..DIESEL. taktaktaktaktakak.. sounds like no petrol car i have ever owned,,

hmeah

I have the GTi on a 07 plate, have the same issues, had the cambelt changed and service @ VW earlier this year, the noise went away for a while and then came back...

I have read online its the tensioner chain on the right of the engine which makes the noise, its also common on the AXX models...

Anyone know if one can use any treatment in the oil to quieten down the noise? it sure is annoying & people keeps asking if its a diesel!

Nothing like the mark 2s, my tappets use to make noise and i just added a treatment which made it go away, anything available for the mk5 to reduce the noise?