GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

fixing up the inside

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
1. Is there any third party MFD upgrades out there or am I stuck with red/remanufactured red? The screen on my MFD has partial failure in moderate heat or cold. I found a guy who I think is in Singapore which used to do upgrades. Is there an outright swap for a newer version I could do? Found mixed reviews on searches.

2. Problem with my passenger headlight. I've swapped the igniter/bulb from the driver (it doesn't work), I've swapped the passenger light/igniter to the driver (it works). Is there a relay/fuse somewhere I can check for? Is this a ballast issue? A critter ate my wiring issue?

00979 - Lamp for Low Beam; Right (M31)
010 - Open or Short to Plus
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01111010
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 254
Reset counter: 191
Mileage: 102468 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
ON
Voltage: 14.40 V
ON
ON
OFF
OFF
OFF

Also where are the relays? I found looking through my logs that my

00924 - Relay for Headlamp Cleaning System (J39)
009 - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101100
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 191
Mileage: 48934 km
Time Indication: 0

is also acting up.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
For headlight check fuse SB48 and check if you are getting power down to the plug at headlight housing T12q/pin6.

Headlight washer relay in panel C position #4 located drive side behind lower dash. May want to look at fuse SC36.

Last edited:

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Cool, thanks for the info!!

Checked continuity on both fuses and both are good. This seems to be a problem between the ballast and whatever tells the light to turn on.

Last edited:

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
That too, the question I have (which I lack the proper tools to fully diagnose) is where is the problem. It could be ECU, harness between ECU and ballast, ballast, or even the housing itself although probably not the case since when the igniter and bulb are out of the car it works fine on one side but not the other.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
So don't know how much this matters, I ran a continuity test at the fuse in the engine bay. It has continuity. So does this mean there's a bad electrical bit somewhere or is this an ECU problem that can be fixed with VAGcom?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Do you happen to have wiring diagrams for the 06? What the build date, its located on the label drivers door jamb.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
There's a guy in Newark NJ who does cluster swaps. Upgraded mine, I love it. Expensive, though. PM me if you want more info.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Check for power at plug connected to HID housing, it is a 12 pin plug T12q. Power comes down T12q/pin6 and ground is T12q/pin8. You can pull the plug out of housing and connect a test light to pins 6 & 5, turn lights on and see if test light functions. If the light works your issue is in housing. Here is a video of a test for turn signal function at plug. http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ntcms0&s=9#.WmC2LdEo5dg If light does not work your issue is of course in the other direction. Keep in mind when you pull the plug you will create open fault codes so you will need to clear them.

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Either one, just remember that when testing with a Dvm it may shows 12v for only a short time during testing before J519 stops sending full power. Video of testing signal light with Dvm, note voltage below 1v signal off then signal turned on voltage goes up to 12v a few times before J519 cuts back to below 1v, the signal switch was not turned off at this point. http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2pte3d4&s=9#.WmDIOdEo5dg

DIY led test lights made from pen housings one for back probing the other with clamps.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
okay plugged a little green LED into 6 and 8 and it lit up. so what's the next part?

For fun I took the LED and shoved it in the part where the ignitor goes, got a lot of nothing. Dunno if that should have worked or not.

Last edited: