GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S4 thoughts/power

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
My Dad just got a B8 S4. What are you guy's thoughts on this? He was thinking about a 335i but honestly the Audi is pretty much better in almost everyway, number aside.

P.S. The damn thing makes Hella power, you can get 400awhp with a tune, intake, exhaust and a pulley. All extremely cheap mods

yung_wallace B5

RACE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Car(s)
06 MKV GTI
i want one :p

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
friend let me DD his new manual 2011 S4 for a few weeks over the Christmas holiday.

Great DD, endless torque, great interior, comfortable gear change.

Car has a few weird things like automatically adding a touch of throttle as you let off the clutch.

As far as a performance car goes I was less then impressed.

Numb steering, numb throttle response, and brakes don't bite until low in the pedal travel. The suspension does deal well with the weight, but the dullness in the steering makes it harder to place the car and feel the weight load onto the front tires.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
Good enough for 1:25's at the streets on street tires. Damn good if you ask me. Granted it was being driven very well, but the car did what it was asked and of note, he was able to rotate the car seemingly at will. But I do agree with the numbness part... that's a given with most Audis though, as is the weight. The numb throttle is taken care of with a flash, the rest, perhaps a better alignment and tires.

BurninRubber

Fast's Pilot
Car(s)
'07 GTi
my buddy has an 08 335xi coupe and boy that thing is amazing. they have HPFP issues just like us but if i could get any other car it would be 335/135. he's got simply HKS bov, a dual cone intake and a JB3 tune... wow. that thing walks everything. i have watched him destroy cars i could only dream of pacing with.

the s4 however, is absolutely amazing. i would be content with that car also. correct me if i'm wrong the audi has supercharged v6? thats the only reason why i would go 335 simply because i prefer turbocharged cars over supercharged.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
Good enough for 1:25's at the streets on street tires. Damn good if you ask me. Granted it was being driven very well, but the car did what it was asked and of note, he was able to rotate the car seemingly at will. But I do agree with the numbness part... that's a given with most Audis though, as is the weight. The numb throttle is taken care of with a flash, the rest, perhaps a better alignment and tires.

Yeah, there is no doubt that it is a fast car. I guess maybe I should have used the term "drivers car" vs "performance car".

It is always a hard thing to discuss the relevance of lap times as the primary performance metric vs. other less quantitative items.

I suppose it is possible that the reflash could help the throttle, just stock there seems to be too much sneeze travel at the top of the pedal.

The chassis is very capable and the AWD system delivers grip and power well.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you were saying completely. Just pointing out that in spite of the ponderous feel from some of the controls its a fast farking car. Based on what you drive you clearly value feel and response. I'd never see myself owning one, I'd rather get something lighter and more nimble on it's feet with nice direct controls. I always figure if someone is considering a 4000 lb awd car of this type they don't grock those things the way you or I do.

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
I rode in my buddies tuned S4 and I think my APR stage 1 FSI is faster, the S4 is just alot heavier.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
It must be a byproduct of the smoother power band because believe me your stage 1 fsi shouldn't even be close. The s4 is a car that will run low-mid 12 second passes at around 110-115 tuned and your gti is likely in the high 13 second range at around 100-102 mph.

I rode in my buddies tuned S4 and I think my APR stage 1 FSI is faster, the S4 is just alot heavier.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Great car, a little heavy, steering feel could be better but overall one hell of a car. While I loved the old B5 TT setup, a man could definitely get used to the 6cyl supercharged feeling and whine.

lextildeath

Ready to race!
Did you drive the S4 around town, or at high speeds? The steering gets firmer the faster you go. It is meant to be smooth around town and for parallel parking, and firmer for higher speeds.

I agree they made the newer models a bit softer to make the car more well rounded - luxury plus performance.

There is an optional package that adjusts the steering, along with the suspension to be firmer with the push of a button. Or, you could vagcom it to get firmer steering.

friend let me DD his new manual 2011 S4 for a few weeks over the Christmas holiday.

Great DD, endless torque, great interior, comfortable gear change.

Car has a few weird things like automatically adding a touch of throttle as you let off the clutch.

As far as a performance car goes I was less then impressed.

Numb steering, numb throttle response, and brakes don't bite until low in the pedal travel. The suspension does deal well with the weight, but the dullness in the steering makes it harder to place the car and feel the weight load onto the front tires.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
There is a difference between firm steering, and steering with feel.

Yes, I drove it in multiple situations and yes the steering does weight up with speed, but that weight is not real feel, it is obviously artificial.

The firmer suspension would have been more suited to my preferences, but no matter how firm you make something it can only help mask the weight issue.

___
In the same way that most people feel the GTI is responsive, the S4 will suit most sporty drivers. However, when you really start pushing the vehicle things like the GTI or S4s lazy throttle response and dull steering will become more evident.