GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting Manual 08 GTI

gman32888

stick noobie
So what RPM's do you guys shift?

Various people told me to shift at different RPMs- Im still skeptical.

1st gear-
2nd gear-
3rd gear-
4th gear-

Do you guys give gas right after the shift or in transition?

Thanks for the input.

JDraft

architectural draftsman
Car(s)
07 BMP 6mt GTI 2dr
1st - 2500
2nd - 2500
3rd - 2500

See a pattern here?

mk5nrg

Lonely rider
Car(s)
an MK5
dont mind that post , its just for the count of a 1000 ) finally , i thought it ll take me years and it did aha

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Depends on my mood. Usually I'll stay at 2-2500 when the engine is warming up, especially in the winter. Then usually 2-3.5k. But if I'm pissed off or whatever, 7k while watching the MFD mileage go down.

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
shift when you feel like its needed, if your going up a hill, don't shift too early. Stuff like that. As long as you don't cruise at 6k rpm, shift whenever its appropriate or however you feel like.

akukuman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
cw mkv gti 08
shift when you feel like its needed, if your going up a hill, don't shift too early. Stuff like that. As long as you don't cruise at 6k rpm, shift whenever its appropriate or however you feel like.

so how if i dont feel like to shift?:biggrin:

09SemperGTI

Ready to race!
Want to re-state that in better english? Are you asking what you should feel to indicate when to shift?

gman32888

stick noobie
Want to re-state that in better english? Are you asking what you should feel to indicate when to shift?

What is the best time to shift too maintain the life of your car in a flat road scenario with minimal traffic, from lets say a stop sign assuming you came to a complete stop. (Just driving casually on the streets)

Someone told me when you feel your engine straining, but it starts at 4-5krpms in first gear... Doesn't make sense, he said too because its a sports car.... I was also told by someone else to shift at around 3k and into second at around 2k regardless of how the engine sounds. One other person said that you should shift out according too speed- 10-15 into second and so on..

Just looking for some basics, just bought my first car and I need to learn too drive it casually in order to keep it living, although its a lot more fun hearing the turbo go off :X

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
As stated in another recent thread about the same topic, I shift at 3-3.5k in 1st and 2nd gear, and then at 3k or below for the rest of the gears, if I am just driving normally.....

As long as you are not crusing at 6,000rpm for 20 miles or bouncing it of the rev-limiter every other shift, you should be fine.