GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K03 rebuild with K04 internals?

Htraitor

Hey guys,
I’m new to the forum but not new to tuning cars. This is my first VW and I need someone to point me in the right direction. I have a 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T FSI BPY with a stock K03 turbo. I’ve just hit 196K and upon start up the car sounds like a TDI instead of an FSI.
So I planned to replace the cam timing chain, timing belt, water pump, and do the valve cleaning to get all the build up out. I figured while the car was down I’ll send the turbo up to my father in law’s turbo shop to have a rebuild. This is my first turbo charged car so I’m learning on the fly. I was on another VW site and someone suggested rebuilding the K03 with K04 internals. So my first question is can this be done?
Please no smart ass responses about how anything can be done with enough money. I’m asking is this a common upgrade with this platform or should I just stick with rebuilding the K03 to factory specs?
Also would that change alone (rebuild to K04 specs) necessitate the waterfall of upgrades like RS4 injectors, plugs and ignition wires, downpipe, and a tune?
When I asked the guy who originally suggested this he said yes it can be done but he didn’t know how. ??*♂️ hoping you guys can point me in the right direction even if you can’t answer my question directly. Thanks in advance!

Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Never heard of people doing that. The ko4 has bigger housings too so it's not just parts. Even if it were possible it would require a new tune and other parts to run ko4.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hey guys,
I’m new to the forum but not new to tuning cars. This is my first VW and I need someone to point me in the right direction. I have a 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T FSI BPY with a stock K03 turbo. I’ve just hit 196K and upon start up the car sounds like a TDI instead of an FSI.
So I planned to replace the cam timing chain, timing belt, water pump, and do the valve cleaning to get all the build up out. I figured while the car was down I’ll send the turbo up to my father in law’s turbo shop to have a rebuild. This is my first turbo charged car so I’m learning on the fly. I was on another VW site and someone suggested rebuilding the K03 with K04 internals. So my first question is can this be done?
Please no smart ass responses about how anything can be done with enough money. I’m asking is this a common upgrade with this platform or should I just stick with rebuilding the K03 to factory specs?
Also would that change alone (rebuild to K04 specs) necessitate the waterfall of upgrades like RS4 injectors, plugs and ignition wires, downpipe, and a tune?
When I asked the guy who originally suggested this he said yes it can be done but he didn’t know how. ??*♂️ hoping you guys can point me in the right direction even if you can’t answer my question directly. Thanks in advance!

Corey

Homemade hybrid turbo would sound like a bad idea even if it were possible. I would just do a rebuild of K03.

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
You can do a hybrid turbo rebuild which I'm pretty sure it can be done, considering even the smaller K03 version found in a variety of twincharged 1.4 TSI engines in Europe, gets a common upgrade to K04 turbine and compressor wheels with the necessary trimming so they can fit, along with 360 thrust. I don't see why the larger K03 version in the 2 liter engines wouldn't take the upgrade, but you're still much better off getting that K04 instead, simple bolt-on upgrade. That, or rebuild to factory specs if you're not looking to squeeze more power out of it.

Finder

Ready to race!

Htraitor

You can do a hybrid turbo rebuild which I'm pretty sure it can be done, considering even the smaller K03 version found in a variety of twincharged 1.4 TSI engines in Europe, gets a common upgrade to K04 turbine and compressor wheels with the necessary trimming so they can fit, along with 360 thrust. I don't see why the larger K03 version in the 2 liter engines wouldn't take the upgrade, but you're still much better off getting that K04 instead, simple bolt-on upgrade. That, or rebuild to factory specs if you're not looking to squeeze more power out of it.

I can’t go with pretty sure. I’m looking for tried and true solutions as my wife will also be driving the car. If this can be done I need the “how” and results. Preferably with a link I can research before I decide on going that way. I do appreciate the thoughts though. In my younger days I would love to experiment.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
^^

Oh yea! FTs

also what about is38s ?

FT = modified K04
is38 = for new motors in MK7, not for our motors, found in MK7 GolfR

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I can’t go with pretty sure. I’m looking for tried and true solutions as my wife will also be driving the car. If this can be done I need the “how” and results. Preferably with a link I can research before I decide on going that way. I do appreciate the thoughts though. In my younger days I would love to experiment.

In my 10years of modding this motor, never heard of anyone modifying a K03, probably because you can buy a K04 so inexpensively. You have a high mileage car and you want it to be reliable as possible..... just rebuild or replace the K03 if know for sure it is worn out.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
In my 10years of modding this motor, never heard of anyone modifying a K03, probably because you can buy a K04 so inexpensively. You have a high mileage car and you want it to be reliable as possible..... just rebuild or replace the K03 if know for sure it is worn out.

I agree with GIACUser, the thing is that probably nobody tried it. I would look for the measurements of the internals, if you are unable to find them then you can buy a cheap CHRA of K03/K04 on Aliexpress and try (they cost about 110 USD shipped and are reported to work well (at least the "Powertec" ones)).

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Exactly, nobody does it on the 2 liter engines because K04 is probably one of the easiest and trouble-free upgrades since people started upgrading. On the other hand, hybrid K03's with K04 wheels and 360 thrust is a very common upgrade on these small twincharged 1.4 TSI engines that delivers impressive gains with zero lag. Which is also a pretty simple and trouble-free upgrade as long as it's done by the right mechanic.

Like I suggested before just slap a K04 and call it a day, wife-friendly upgrade. Granted you are going to need a couple more things as well, you'll never regret going that route. No pretty sure here, you will not.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Exactly, nobody does it on the 2 liter engines because K04 is probably one of the easiest and trouble-free upgrades since people started upgrading. On the other hand, hybrid K03's with K04 wheels and 360 thrust is a very common upgrade on these small twincharged 1.4 TSI engines that delivers impressive gains with zero lag. Which is also a pretty simple and trouble-free upgrade as long as it's done by the right mechanic.

Like I suggested before just slap a K04 and call it a day, wife-friendly upgrade. Granted you are going to need a couple more things as well, you'll never regret going that route. No pretty sure here, you will not.

I would suggest the same if the car didn't have 200,000 miles on it. First determine if the turbo really needs to be replaced, then spend the minimum.