GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NBC NY News: -VW Timing Chain Issues- consumer feature

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
silly story...

when my 2006 fsi timing chain snapped VW had no issue reimbursing me the repair fees.

So VW reimbursed you for a timing chain when it uses a belt for timing. It does uses a chain from exhaust cam to drive intake cam if that it what you meant.

VW knew of this issue early on in the TSI production run and decided take a gamble, recall and check check/replace tensioner or do warranty repair on the ones that do fail, and guess which won.

Last edited:

Neopork

Passed Driver's Ed
I am struggling with this right now. I have a 2009 TSI with 135k on the clock and I haven't had any timing chain issues yet, but I also plan to drive the car for several more years. I want to be safe and get the tensioner replaced with the latest revision, but none of the shops near me will do just the tensioner - they want to do the chain as well and will likely need to replace the lower timing cover during the job. I posted this elsewhere, but this was quoted at $1400 at an indy shop (not including a $400 lower timing cover that they "might need to replace if damaged". Yeah, pass.

I also got a quote from my local VW stealership. They wanted $900 labor and I would have to supply about $500-$750 in parts.

I just sucks that I have to worry about this bricking my engine in the future or pay upwards of $1500 to get it fixed as preventive maintenance. What a crock of shite.

Edit: I have considered doing this myself, but there are several specialty tools plus an engine support bar that would need to be purchased to do it safely. And this does not sound like a super fun project on jack-stands. There are a lot less DIY resources on this particular project.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
VW had an issue reimbursing me when my timing chain broke. Needless to say local VW stealership doesn't get any business from myself nor my peers, many of which are 6 figure earners. Sadly this probably doesn't have much effect.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
I am struggling with this right now. I have a 2009 TSI with 135k on the clock and I haven't had any timing chain issues yet, but I also plan to drive the car for several more years. I want to be safe and get the tensioner replaced with the latest revision, but none of the shops near me will do just the tensioner - they want to do the chain as well and will likely need to replace the lower timing cover during the job. I posted this elsewhere, but this was quoted at $1400 at an indy shop (not including a $400 lower timing cover that they "might need to replace if damaged". Yeah, pass.

I also got a quote from my local VW stealership. They wanted $900 labor and I would have to supply about $500-$750 in parts.

I just sucks that I have to worry about this bricking my engine in the future or pay upwards of $1500 to get it fixed as preventive maintenance. What a crock of shite.

Edit: I have considered doing this myself, but there are several specialty tools plus an engine support bar that would need to be purchased to do it safely. And this does not sound like a super fun project on jack-stands. There are a lot less DIY resources on this particular project.

NJ/NY area it's about $1700 parts/labor.

I've read that the lower timing cover sometimes gets bent during removal due to factory sealant.

DIYing it looks like a big pain in the ass on jack stands.....but hey, if you can get the tools and DIY it.....go for it!