GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rough acceleration from a full stop

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, first post here, so I apologize in advance if I mess up on formatting or miss any rules.

Anyways, I just bought a 2007 GTI (130k miles) a few days ago (automatic, completely stock besides a K&N air intake and a chrome tipped exhaust that seems to be cosmetic) and I noticed that whenever I let the car "roll" without pressing on the accelerator at all when coming out of a complete stop, it lurches forward very roughly. It essentially feels like something is grinding (however I am not sure if grinding really is happening), but once it rolls for about a second or two the grinding/rough feeling stops and it goes smooth again. Also, if I even press on the gas at all, it is instantly smooth. I wish I had noticed this during the test drive, but there was no traffic in the area I test drove it in and unfortunately I was more focused on seeing how well the car ran when it was going fast.

I even tested it further by letting the engine roll itself while the car was already moving (at very slow speeds, like one would experience at a stop light or in a parking lot), and it was smooth.

Is this a common issue with the MK5 that I am unaware of, or is this a bad sign? It's not really a big problem (unless something is actually wrong), because if I just push on the accelerator very slightly it's smooth. I just realized this issue earlier when I stopped a little too early at a stop light and just let the car roll to close the distance of the car in front of me.

doc280

Ready to race!
I take you have a DSG gearbox, if so don't let the car inch forward in traffic or on a hill. Doing so will introduce undue stress and heat into the clutch and cause premature wear.

Not sure about the noise.

Neopork

Passed Driver's Ed
Aside from the grinding, I think you are describing a quirk of the DSG. Mine has always done this from what I can remember and I have had it since it was new (2009). If you have the brake pedal on, or shift from reverse to drive, there is a slight delay before the pedal action translates into acceleration because it is like thinking about how to shift into first or something. If i let off the brake, my car does occasionally do a small surge forward before resuming normal feel. It actually seemed to get worse right after I did a carbon cleaning last weekend (better airflow = more low end torque? dunno) and I almost hit a pillar when I was parking in a parking garage, lol. It could be that I am used to driving our Explorer now since my car was apart in the garage for almost a week. Anyway...
But yeah, the grinding doesn't sound good.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh yes, I do have a DSG transmission, sorry forgot to mention it in my original post. Like I said in the post, I do not think it's actually grinding, but it more so feels like the car is struggling to push itself on its own. I really hope this is just a quirk of the DSG.