GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Touch up paint suggestions for interior plastics

JustinD

My mkV colour is black ext/black int. About 6mths ago I noticed the window controls seemed to be getting white flecks on them - I subsequently realised the black coating on the off white under plastic was coming off. I guess its age and UV damage. It now happening around the DSG stick area and anywhere on my dash where there is any friction.

Does anyone have a suggestion regarding a good touch up interior plastics paint or something that does a similar job?

apologies if this has been answered before as I couldn't find a post that mentioned what is probably a very common problem.

thanks,
Justin

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Sounds like a failure of the soft-touch plastic materials. Basically the outer black bubbles/peels off and shows white below. You can try removing parts and painting it, but IMO, the best solution is to order new parts to replace them. I've heard the use of hand lotions causes this to happen. Not sure if you use lotion or someone before you that owned the car did, but that's what I've been told makes this happen (or at least happen worse/sooner).

Waffle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GLI
I live in FL and with the heat mine started flaking off around the shifter after the first few years. The window switches are an easy fix, they can be bought inexpensively and the newer versions are black plastic, without soft-touch coating.

To fix my shifter, I removed it and painted it using John Deere Blitz Black paint. It is the closest matching color for our interior.

JustinD

thanks guys. I didn't know about there being original black switches. Also, I will check into the gear switcher paint. I don't think it was anything regarding hand creme too as I don't use any. The paint on the gear surround has only peeled off where its been knocked (I think). I suspect its just Oz sun damage which is on par with FL.

Justin

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
AutoHAAS is a salvage yard in NJ that works with VW/Audi only, dunno if its a plug but they have plenty of non baked (Northeast cars) interior parts and have good pricing.