GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

08 GTI w/DSG + Revo = Rough Shifts at 1/2 Throttle Why?

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
not calling bs or anything but can you provide your sources?

yeah hold on I usually just post in vortex so let me find the links.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4303885

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4297077

and here is a REVO thread

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4348737

my name is the same on vortex and I have a little VW logo as my av.

GIAC tcu software works with APR or revo ecu software too. Remember, revo = ex apr engineers starting their own company.

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV
yeah hold on I usually just post in vortex so let me find the links.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4303885

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4297077

and here is a REVO thread

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4348737

my name is the same on vortex and I have a little VW logo as my av.

GIAC tcu software works with APR or revo ecu software too. Remember, revo = ex apr engineers starting their own company.

all i read regarding tcu reflash from revo was george using the winking smiley when the question was asked... i may have missed something but i wouldn't take that as something actually being in the works unless george specifically says it. hes been avoiding a thread regarding tcu/rough shift in the comments regarding the vendors section.

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
all i read regarding tcu reflash from revo was george using the winking smiley when the question was asked... i may have missed something but i wouldn't take that as something actually being in the works unless george specifically says it. hes been avoiding a thread regarding tcu/rough shift in the comments regarding the vendors section.

it's called reverse engineering. one company figures out how to tune the TCU via obd2 port and they all will eventually. same with ecu tuning.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
has everyone who is having probs in this thread at the very least done a transmission recalibration via vagcom or at the dealer? my experiece with revo and dsg shifts is as follows:

stock - rough shifts in "D" maybe 10% of the time
stage 1 - rough shifts in "D" around 25% of the time
stage 2 - rough shifts in "D" around 10% of the time
stage 2+ - same as stage 2 until I did a tranny recalibration and now "D" mode drives smooth as butter

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
yes, dsg recalibration does not solve the problem.. I will hopefully be meeting up with soemone from RevO in the next week or two so they can drive my car and analyze the situation.

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
yes, dsg recalibration does not solve the problem.. I will hopefully be meeting up with soemone from RevO in the next week or two so they can drive my car and analyze the situation.

ugh why don't you people on this forum ever listen to someone who knows what they are talking about???

ECU software makes your car faster then the DSG is programmed for out of the factory. programming your car's computer and your transmissions computer are two separate things with these super expensive transmissions.

tweak the dsg's software and change up shift points and it will fix the problem. the only problem with this is that no one knew how to do this up until recently with the release of the super expensive HPA software came out ($2000 just to change the shift points in Drive). Then GIAC just came out with software that does the SAME thing only for only $400 and the market is wide open now with competitors reverse engineering right as now as I type this trying to finish their own version of the DSG software...

I.E. Drive mode out of the factory shifts to 6th gear by 35mph to "try to get better gas mileage" and sport mode is just stupid to try to use that in daily driving...

So there it is. Jesus. :readthethread:

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
your points are so basic, that you're a little far behind on the conversation. First of all, the only dsg's who are having problems are 08's. So to generalize your comments saying all DSG's doesn't make sense, because the 06's and 07's don't have this problem. The thought from the software companies is that vw must have tweaked something just a little bit in the 08's...Next, to say that no one knew how access the DSG software is simply not true. APR specifically has software for the dsg transmission in their ecu flash to adjust for this issue. Their 3.0 software has done this. While you simplified the problem, it's obvioulsy not an easy fix. If it was, revo wouldn't be flying an engineer over to look at it....if you want to promote dsg software, that's great, however, the ecu software companies have already, or are, looking into how it's affecting the ecu flash

gli

your points are so basic, that you're a little far behind on the conversation. First of all, the only dsg's who are having problems are 08's. So to generalize your comments saying all DSG's doesn't make sense, because the 06's and 07's don't have this problem. The thought from the software companies is that vw must have tweaked something just a little bit in the 08's...Next, to say that no one knew how access the DSG software is simply not true. APR specifically has software for the dsg transmission in their ecu flash to adjust for this issue. Their 3.0 software has done this. While you simplified the problem, it's obvioulsy not an easy fix. If it was, revo wouldn't be flying an engineer over to look at it....if you want to promote dsg software, that's great, however, the ecu software companies have already, or are, looking into how it's affecting the ecu flash

and like i said there was a bad build of mech units, get it fixed , no more problems

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
and like i said there was a bad build of mech units, get it fixed , no more problems

i'm sorry, but you really have no idea what you are talking about. I actually met up with Chris and one of the tuners from the UK last week. It's not a mechatronics failure from a "bad batch from vw." Just because i have an 08 doesn't mean that i have one of them...The shifting wasn't that smooth to my liking, and the rev0 guys adjusted it...so flat out, you're wrong. and to generalize the situation, is wrong. and to assume you know anything about my specific car, is wrong...

Chris@RT

Banned
Ok no point in bickering let me help clear this up.

06 and 07 cars if you are having a DSG shifting issue then you more than likely need to follow the adaptation procedure here or worst case you have a problem with your transmission. There have not no reports of issues with 06 and 07 cars that can be related to software in anyway.

08 cars it seems some, not all, have a hard shift at certain throttle positions. We were able to get with Greg last week and do some tests on his car to resolve this even try some other things we are working on and hopefully will apply to all our tuning soon.

I don't have any updates on when we'll have the new file out but we'll have it shortly.

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
you're stupid.
:dnftt:

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV

06 and 07 cars if you are having a DSG shifting issue then you more than likely need to follow the adaptation procedure here or worst case you have a problem with your transmission. There have not no reports of issues with 06 and 07 cars that can be related to software in anyway.

08 cars it seems some, not all, have a hard shift at certain throttle positions. We were able to get with Greg last week and do some tests on his car to resolve this even try some other things we are working on and hopefully will apply to all our tuning soon.

I don't have any updates on when we'll have the new file out but we'll have it shortly.

if you guys come up with an update, would it be a free update for those of us who already have revo stg1/2? or would we have to pay more for fixing the problem?

Chris@RT

Banned
if you guys come up with an update, would it be a free update for those of us who already have revo stg1/2? or would we have to pay more for fixing the problem?

As always any updates would be free. If you upgrade then you would still need to pay the normal upgrade price.

SanJoJoe

Ready to race!
Auto downshifting in 'M' is normal as are auto upshifts. The upshift threshold is at 6850 but I'm not exactly sure what the downshift point is and it could be different depending on which gear one is in at the time. Sort of negates the point of 'M' in my opinion! Never the less, lets start compiling some data. The concern seems to be with 'rough' or abrupt upshifts primarily between the lower gears. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th. If this describes your current situation, please reply and include:

Year
Make
Model
Approximate flash date
ECU ID (if you know it).

We'll use this as an impromptu database to see exactly how many people are experiencing the issue and then try to look for some sort of commonality as a group.

VW
GTI
May 2009

I have noticed the abrupt shifting even when the car is "warm". I just got tuned this weekend, and had not had any DSG shift issues prior to tuning.

Any ideas on when we can expect an update. Its kind of frustrating that I just shelled out $400 for something that is not working very well.

Last edited:

uberdork71

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07gli, 70 911t,72mg

Any news on the updated file?