GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CANBus Wiring Harness Alternative

paulmni

Morning Folks,

Had a canbus wiring loom but the box of tricks packed in, back to using a standard harness.

I've found a free fuse slot to get the switching live.

I don't know how to explain this, but when I had the old wiring harness the stereo stayed on until I took the keys out of the ignition.

Any fuse slots I try I get 2 choices, permanently on or only on if the ignition is on. Call it nit picking or first world problem but is there a known fuse slot that stays "Live" until I take the keys out of the ignition.

Can upload a video if you need clarification.

Many Thanks
Paul

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I used a harness and PAC adapter from Crutchfield and it works. There is a 'vehicle electrical system control module' that cycles the power from a constant power fuse. Basically an assortment of relays in a box. You need to tap into that. I don't know which color that wire is, I've been looking in the Bentley manual. Crutchfield or someone else may have the wiring diagram online.

paulmni

Thanks for the reply.

I understand you can get the PAC adapter/CANBus thingy but 30-70 just for the luxury seems excessive. Just looking for a fuse slot which stays on until the key is out of the ignition.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The control module I'm talking about is part of the car. There is a wire that stays on until you remove the key.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
No problem, I could have worded that better. Didn't want you looking for a fuse that doesn't exist.

Azzurri

Ready to race!
There's a key sense wire in the steering column harness that stays on as long as the key is in the ignition. I've used it on older VW's but never on a MKV, so you'd have to test it out and see what kind of voltage it puts out.

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
This is exactly what I'm looking for. I want my radio to stay on until the key is removed. I have a PAC RP4-VW11, but it hasn't worked so far. Maybe I need to update it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I have the same PAC adapter and it works. Did you do the wiring or a shop?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I did my wiring. I think there were a couple wires that went together with the adapter. I remember one for power antenna or something I wasn't going to use but I did anyway. It was a couple years ago so I would have to look. I took a couple pics at the time but not sure they would help you.

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
I did my wiring. I think there were a couple wires that went together with the adapter. I remember one for power antenna or something I wasn't going to use but I did anyway. It was a couple years ago so I would have to look. I took a couple pics at the time but not sure they would help you.

Anything would help. The blue power antenna goes to my Antenna FAKRA adapter for the FM radio.

I got my PAC-UP yesterday. Updated the firmware on mine to 1.2.3.4 and still no go.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I had to move one pin in my harness, as it didn't match up... And carefully look at each plug til I figured out how it all went together. Kind of a guessing game for me really.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
What I'm trying to figure out now is what fuse to tap into so my head unit will work without tapping into the handbrake or park wire.