GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NASA ST MKV Build

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Nice build. Subscribed to this awesomeness.

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
Cooling package 2 rad mounts away from being installed... Have to wait on those. As well as a temp sensor for the trans. Then fill it with fluids and its a runner.

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
Got some decent work done this weekend.

Rewired the DSG cooler fan and pump. Straightened the brackets for those as well.

Front end is together.

Waiting on a Boost hose and to get some new DSG cooler an fittings and it will be time to start it up.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Sweet, Lovin' it!

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
Nelson is a very old track.

The new owners are working on getting it repaired and having better runoff etc. Its been an awesome grassroots hometown track to me.

I just hope they stay open, they have been struggling for years.

JamDawg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI 4 DOOR
It looks like a fun project. I wanted to start running hillclimb and time attack events but I took a different route. I bought a MK2 and started bulding it. Less weight and cheaper parts (I know suspension blows). I would have loved to have turned my 09 into a track car if I had the $ and a second DD but it seemed easier this way.

I would assume you would have had higher spring rates on that car. Hell hondas and M3s run 900 to 1000 lbs spring rates. My MK2 which wights 2000 lbs runs 450 lbs springs and I plan on going higher. My MKV has 360 and 315 lbs springs but I'm also not running slicks. I do assume you will test and tune and get eveything dialed in with time, It sounds like you still have upgrades in mind.

Best of luck

Last edited:

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
Blane,

Car has been ran in Solo2 SMF at tour and pro solo events for 2 years now. Granted on 245's. It would usually run mid pack but the SMF guys have had a few front runners really stepping it up car wise. I cant justify this chassis for SMF because of the min weight being so low and the rules restricting what can be removed and used to reduce the weight.

JamDawg,

The car on the current rates worked very well on track and autocross with 245 A6's. Ledges (track where the wreck happened) is pretty rough and stiffly sprung cars don't really work well there. I am going to see how it feels this coming year with the added tire, less weight, and some small aero changes. But for now I think the set up is going to be pretty close to where I want to be. The car has a lot of sway bar under it.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
That's good info!! I ran into a guy running a MK6 Golf R finishing upper mid-pack at a pro-solo last summer and it got me thinking. I always over achieved with my MKV in STX before the switch to the FR-S.

Do you think you could cram like 285s on the front for autoX? Lol.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
SMF cars can eat us for breakfast. STX near me is a battle between RX8s and WRXs.

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
275's are totally do able with a flare set up and the fenders cut.

The current 275's have plenty of room width wise. Only thing to watch for is tire heigth. I can barely get full lock because of hitting the inner fender well near (back lower) And had to cut some rocker out to get that far.

Few of the SMF guys are sad I won't be running this at pro and tour events any more. But that opens up this car for more track abuse and eventual wheel to wheel with it. Might end up codriving a stx preped s14 for pro and tour events

miamirice

Ready to race!
Me thinks with that amount of tire you need to baffle your oil pan.