GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > DIY + Maintenance + Tips/Tricks
Modded Euros

Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Matt07GTI
Oval Newbie

Drives: 07GTI
instrument cluster screen not working help please

have a 2007 gti and my instrument cluster screen in the middle has gone out or is on its way out the question I have is does the new instrument cluster have to be synced with the car's computer or can I just plug in play basically here is a pic of what it's doing I know there's a post on here somewhere I seen it I just can't find it again or does it not have to be replaced is there anyway I can fix it thanks I really appreciate all your guys help and input
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Harabo
Autocross Champion

Drives: VW Golf MKV 2.0
I am pretty new to VW, but is the screen always like that?

I know you have a function to turn off the display, in that case you can just hold button up/down to turn it back on!

If it is something else, i hope someone else can help you out!
Harabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Matt07GTI
Oval Newbie

yeah and the screen is not off if you look real close my camera may not have taken a good picture of it but the screen is still lit it's just not showing the informationgo the screen has not always been like thatI've read somewhere on here the screen does it and I just was curious if I can refine it again see how to fix it but thanks for the help and also W. E. L. C. O. M. E. To the VW club
Old 08-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
NorthernDubber
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 07 GTI BMP 6MT
Mine has recently started doing this as well. From what I can find around the net and 'tex it seems like replacing the LCD screen is the go to fix.
NorthernDubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Matt07GTI
Oval Newbie

Where do you just get the screen everywher I look you have to purchase the whole cluster the tow dealers near me want 599 , & 430 just for the part. That's not includeing labor ect its actually really easy to take out
Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Rajini98

Drives: 07 FSI
It's lit because the cluster is receiving power.. Just the LCD or the logic controlling it is shot. To "repair", all you do is get a cluster from a junk yard (google around for gti salvage parts) and swap the LCD screen and HOPE that it is in fact the LCD screen. The LCD is just clipped in place with a ribbon cable that clamps onto the circuit.

If it's not the LCD, hopefully the salvage cluster works. You'll need to reprogram the salvage cluster to work with your car but still cheaper than getting a brand new cluster
Rajini98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Matt07GTI
Oval Newbie

ok cool i have looked up how to change the screen and seems real easy i have searched local salvage yards and the all say the same thing either "we dont have any VW's on our lot" or " that year is too new" there is only one salvage yard that can get one and it is for $175, and still if i get that one it still may have the same issue so im just caught between either spend the money and get the one that there will be no problems or take a gamble and get this one then if it dosent work be out the 175 and the 599. just was wondering if i could order the screen just from somewhere
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Rajini98

Drives: 07 FSI
When I did my LED swap in my cluster, I busted the stepper motor for engine temperature. Searched high and low for that little motor but found the only solution to be to get a salvage cluster. I'd offer the LCD from mine but I got a midline cluster from a jetta or something, not the highline like you have.

Maybe ask the salvage person to snap a picture before buying, I thought I was getting a gti cluster before I received it.
Rajini98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
zrickety
The Fixer

Drives: 2009 GTI 6MT, 2010 GTI DSG
Uneedapart.com will email you quotes from other junkyards, helped me find a hub for another car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinwark View Post
Smart man, unfortunately I am the friend with the tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
I like that it looks rather mundane and sort of a commuter car but is really a wolf in sheeps clothing.
True ESP OFF on 08.5-09 cars: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190211
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote