GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bras & such

dmw16

Ready to race!
My concern with clear bras (and this goes double for leather ones) are:

1) They will cause the paint to "age" at a different rate. Sunlight and other elements will cause the paint to change and the bra will cause the paint under it to be effect differently than the paint not covered by it.

2) Cleaning the bra. I would be worried about waxing over it and the plastic looking swirled. THis is a personal thing as some people aren't bothered by swirls. I for one HATE them.

3) Crease in the paint. This is related to #1, but I think over time there will be some height difference in the paint.

Those two things said, I don't know that there is much you can do. If you don't have a bra the car will get chipped from highway stuff, if you do, the paint will suffer the effects above (maybe). I guess you just gotta pick your poison. You could always just get it re-sprayed every now and again :)

sparkstack

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 .:R32
Pick your poison indeed. Some very good points there and they are things that I did think about before getting mine done. What swayed me in the end is knowing how hacked off I would be if the car got hit by some shingle on the freeway. I'd have to live with it looking like that until it was at the point where it justified a respray.

path

Ready to race!
clear 3M paint protector is the way to go. Dealer quoted me $700, but I found a very nice professional shop that did it for $450.

I don't even notice it, and it looks fine when I wax it.

dmw16

Ready to race!
True, but a shingle would leave damage no matter what. I think the clear bra will protect you from small rocks and stuff, but it isn't going to keep the car from being damaged if a decent size piece of road crap hits it.

path, I polish my car with a porter cable and I would be worried about what the PC would do to the clear bra.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
Personally, I don't think theres ever been a situation in which a clear bra wasn't better than a regular one.

But seriously,go for the clear one, but have it installed professionaly so that you can make sure there aren't bubbles.

BlueByeU

R Fincianado
Car(s)
08' R32
I installed the clear bra on three of my Mark V's. They do indeed "yellow" which is really dirt that is ground in so deep you can't get it out.

Go for the clear bra!

bcze1

You people make me laugh
path, I polish my car with a porter cable and I would be worried about what the PC would do to the clear bra.

If you are just doing a typical polish and wax, it does no damage to the clear bra, at least not mine. Maybe if you were using a more abrasive compound there could be a problem. :iono: