GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please help, three years of LIMP MODE :(

kingmufasa

three years of LIMP MODE :(, now fixed

hi eveyrone i'm new to this site
i have a golf mkv fsi 1.4 2005, since 2008 the car has been going into limp mode, i tried every garage but none helped, the main dealer was even worse charging me well over £1400 fixing the wrong stuff, i went back and forth to them but the problem was never sorted.

the symptom: the car goes constantly in limp mode(loss of power) when the weather is hot, during winter it goes into limp mode but not as much summer, and long drives are worse, especially motorways, if i drive over 70mph the limp mode comes on quicker than if i was driving in between 60mph and 70mph. the temporary fix in motorways is to switch off the car then put it back on, and when the engine gets hot it triggers the limp mode too. the car loses so much power when going up hill.

the code: the fault code is p0191 fuel rail pressure sensor A circuit range/performance.

what i've tried so far:
research
Spent over £1400 at vw main dealer (couldn't fix the car)
replaced nox sensor
new map sensor
two coil packs replaced
new fuel rail pressure sensor
new fuel pump
new air filter
fuel system service
cat convert check
and more lots of lots of lots of research on the internet (almost everyday :( )
tried most forums but no luck.

Car now fixed. replaced the pressure sensor g247, new in tank fuel pump (very different from old one), new injection pump and cleaned fuel tank plus 4 brand new bosch coil packs
thank you all for helping out,

Last edited:

boraboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf V GT TDI
Have you tried doing some logging using VAG-COM?

Not sure what blocks to log but fuel may be a place to start.

Means driving around with a laptop plugged in but at least you may get to see what happens as the fault occurs.

uk_stu

Passed Driver's Ed
May be worth dropping them and email

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Or have a look on this forum for someone with Vag com near you

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.0.html

(If in doubt, PM Mortygttdi, or VRStu) They're both really good at VCDS (Vag Com) and i've personally used VRStu and he was a really nice guy and coded some bits on my car for free. Obviously they're miles away from Wales but they should be able to offer you the information you need!!

kingmufasa

faults found via vag

Fault Found
000401 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247): Implausible Signal
P0191 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Fault Found
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Fault Found
00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Fault Found
00931 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Rear Right (F223)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent

boraboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf V GT TDI
So you have intermittent faults on both the fuel pressure sensor and the fuel level sensor, have you checked the earths and +ve supplies for the fuel wiring back to the fuse box?

_adam_

Stig's Apprentice
there's a guy on a different forum who has diagnosed my car before, let me know if you need to chat to him (cardiff area)

lilemm

Hi

I would like some advice please, and go easy on me as i'm a woman, i know a little about cars but not much!

Here's my problem, i bought a Vw Golf GT TDI 2.0 about 4 weeks ago, it's a 54 plate with 81000 miles on the clock, it has this problem that it goes into limp home mode, when you get to about 70 mph and 3000rpm's, which resets when the engine is turned off and back on again, i took it back to the garage and they ran a dianostics check and it showed an over boost at 75mph just over 3000rpm's in 4th gear! They suggested that i either put some diesel cleaner into my tank or use cleaner diesel as they think it's the sensors on either end of the turbo get cacked up with soot! (well thats what they said anyway) i have done some research and lots of people have said to check the MAF so yesterday i took the car and recreated the limp mode, then reset the engine and unplugged the MAF it felt like the turbo wasn't quite there, not as responsive as usual, anyway i drove upto 75mph when limp mode usually kicks in, nothing got right upto 85mph and still no imp mode, plugged MAF back in and sure enough limp mode kicked in at 75mph, do you think i need to change the MAF or could it be something else causing the problem??
I used to own a Vw Bora before the Golf and this also used to do it, although very intermittently, the Golf does it every time you hit the 75mph mark and 3000rpm's!
I'd be glad if anyone could help me with this problem, any advice would be appreciated!

AlexS

Hello,

I have the same limp mode that was talked in this thread. The car has moments when accelerating works like it's supposed to, but lately, I floor it and it barely revs up.
Golf V 1.6 FSi

Does anyone have any details or suggestions?

Fault Found
000401 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247): Implausible Signal
P0191 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

i get this error too

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Does the car have a misfire? I would start looking where the original post explains fixed his issues.

AlexS

Does the car have a misfire? I would start looking where the original post explains fixed his issues.

I used to get missfires on one cylinder but lately no error regarding that popped. The 2 errors I get are:

P0191 Powertrain:
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

P2540 - Powertrain:
Low Pressure Fuel System Sensor Circuit Range/ Performance

Miss_lead_foot_90

Hi everyone, can someone give me a heads up on a similar problem I'm having lately. My 2007 golf mk5 tdi sport went I to limp mode on the weekend at high revs, I searched through some forums and the advice for similar issues was to firstly clean the MAF sensor which I did. The car was running perfect after doing so, so I thought it was problem solved. But today I was driving to work and at the shift from 4th to 5th limp mode came back to haunt me! I managed to 'limp' to work and on the way home the car was running fine with no limp mode.. So it's an intermittent problem, there are also no warning lights on the dash which is even more confusing. Can anyone help me please? ��

phillip1978

Ready to race!
I solved this issue with my car turned out to be a dirty connector (i disconnected and inspected every plug that is connected to the fuel system and cleaned and checked the pins and sockets) see attached photos it is the green plug

Close up of plug

Torch light pointing to said plug

Zoomed out can see green plug at bottom of picture

Unplug the connector spray with electrical contact cleaner check that all pins are locked in. I found a couple were loose.

I hope this is the issue with your problem and that it gets resolved.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk