GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil light.... oil pump?

Carlito549

I had a long drive. Boston, MA---> New Jersey and back. On the way back I got a oil light. I know usually comes up if I'm running low oil. I had oil with me so I filled up and drove.

But light won't go away. Once getting home. I started my car and no oil light until maybe an hour later. Checked oil dip and shows it has oil. But car sounds like it has no oil.

Could it be oil pump? Since I drove with oil light on (not for long) could I have damaged the engine? Had a friend with a garage/lift, and says he found little tiny bits of metal perhaps pistons? Did I f*** up?

Thoughts? It's winter now so I'm not in rush to fix it have it parked in driveway until spring.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I had a long drive. Boston, MA---> New Jersey and back. On the way back I got a oil light. I know usually comes up if I'm running low oil. I had oil with me so I filled up and drove.

But light won't go away. Once getting home. I started my car and no oil light until maybe an hour later. Checked oil dip and shows it has oil. But car sounds like it has no oil.

Could it be oil pump? Since I drove with oil light on (not for long) could I have damaged the engine? Had a friend with a garage/lift, and says he found little tiny bits of metal perhaps pistons? Did I f*** up?

Thoughts? It's winter now so I'm not in rush to fix it have it parked in driveway until spring.
Well if you drove a long distance with the light on and it was an oil pressure issue then you probably did some wear on the engine: the pressure light comes on when the pressure is critically low and not just in the lower range which means the engine lubrication is bad. But if your car still starts and run without issues I wouldn't worry too much though.

Now for your question, most pressures issues are not directly linked with the oil pump going bad but with the oil inlet pipe getting clogged (it has a small grill to prevent big particles to be pumped). You should open the oil pan and take a look at it (you will need liquid sealant to close it).

Carlito549

Thanks for the help guys I haven't touch my car yet because if it is a big fix like changing the engine I don't have the money for that right now plus it's winter so it will be sitting anyways but I am planning on getting it fixed soon just wanted second thoughts about it.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion