GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD Question

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Mine is silent, you really don't know its there until you are using it. Is this a DSG + LSD issue?

My car's a manual. It's really loud, I only drove it a little bit before I put my car away for the winter so maybe it'll get quieter with time but it sounded like a tractor when I did drive it.

Same here, Mfactory LSD and DSG, silent. I love this diff, I had a wavetrac before and switched to the Mfactory. Honestly unless you are reallllllly pushing the car you can't tell any differenc, it might be in my head but I feel the Mfactory performs better.

Did your Wavetrac make noise?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I have a wavetrac manual as well and no noise, skyline are you sure that was the lsd making noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I assumed it was but it could be the gearbox too, it started after I had the lsd and shift forks installed along with a clutch and flywheel. I just assumed the lsd was loud but I'm going to tell my mechanic about it on Friday and get my car over to his shop soon to fix it. I didn't drive it enough to do real damage but from what I've read online I think it's backlash. I'll find out soon though, the weather's not ideal but I might put the car back on the road this weekend to get it looked at next week.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I dropped the car off at my mechanic's shop this morning to have it looked at. On the way there I only heard noise above 80km/h but I only hit that once, very briefly. He took it for a quick drive twice today and didn't notice anything worrying but he's going to go for a long drive tomorrow to get it warmed up and see what happens. Either way he said that if something is wrong he has my back and he'll pull the gearbox to fix it if he has too.

Question for those with LSD's, when you say they're silent just how silent are they really? Are we talking 100% exactly as quiet as the stock diff to the point that if your grandma got out of a stock car and into a modified one she wouldn't notice any difference?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
100% silent as the stock diff.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Silent from the install to now. Pulling out of the garage when it was intally installed I was supposed there was absolutely no way to tell it was there until it was working (pulling away froma stop or going around a corner on the throttle).

Used Motul Gear 300 (non LSD type as its not a clutch pack type) and had no issues other than 2nd gear is a little notchy until it warms up in cold weather.

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
I've searched the forums and after an hour and a half and 12 pages of results, haven't found the answer.

First, and foremost, I have a DSG. I'm trying to get everything done before I go with my BT. I have a clutch pack in mind and I've looked into the LSD. Came across a 20 tooth and 25 tooth Wavetrac. Any idea, without dropping and opening the trans, which one I would need? I read that the older models use 20 and newer use the 25. But the LSD was advertised for MK5 and MK6.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the info.

If I were you I wouldn't touch the clutch packs, just get a dsg flash. I make 400whp and before the flash it slipped a bit. But after the flash it's perfect. There are other more experienced guys on here that have changed clutch packs (preemptively) and resorted back to the stock ones because the aftermarket wouldn't hold the power and after flashes they hold 600+whp

-TC-

Car(s)
2009 GTI
If I were you I wouldn't touch the clutch packs, just get a dsg flash. I make 400whp and before the flash it slipped a bit. But after the flash it's perfect. There are other more experienced guys on here that have changed clutch packs (preemptively) and resorted back to the stock ones because the aftermarket wouldn't hold the power and after flashes they hold 600+whp

Thanks for the advice. I have the APR stage 2 flash already. Gonna get the K04 flash once I save the funds for the kit.

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
Thanks for the advice. I have the APR stage 2 flash already. Gonna get the K04 flash once I save the funds for the kit.

But realize that the stage 1, stage 2, ko4 tunes are only for tuning things like fuel timing and boost to get your car running correctly and safely. The DSG flash is a completely seperate thing. I currently have a stage 2 DSG flash from United Motorsports that is a really good flash.

ttdriver

Passed Driver's Ed
Like I said, I'm not stuck on the Wavetrac. Just trying to get a rough idea of what I would need. I've read a ton of threads in my previous search and came across a ton of different brands. Just wanna make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck.

i have a wavetrac in my rwd converted to ( RWD from AWD ) with 600rwhp turbo porsche and you will NEVER regret a w'trac and it ( iirc?!) has a full lifetime guarantee.

i'd LOVE one in my mk5 fsi but cant justify the spend since its my beater daily. but even so apr chipped with cold air and apr down pipe catback exhaust this lil sucker spins in at least 4 gears from a standing start launch. ( have dsg )

go w the w'trac! flawless on my porsche 5 years now and never needs rebuilding as i *almost* installed a gt3 or a guard custom built lsd which then would've also had me changing/adding gears and ratios on the manual trans box. woulda been 10 grand.

teo_parvu

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I have a similar problem now.

I'm in a middle of a DSG conversion and i first bought a DSG PPZ code from a 2013 VW Passat CC. I've bought a 25 parking tooth ring for it, but I had to return that DSG because the gear ratios for Passat are not sporty, they are long, diesel like.
Now, I had to buy an older box, KNC code from 08.01.2008.
Anyone here knows how can I find out If the diff I bought is ok before opening the box?

Thanks!