GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FSI cam chain tensioner

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I haven't been able to get a clear answer on this. Is there a recommended replacement interval/mileage for the chain and/or tensioner for the FSI?

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I had a cold start rattle from about 50k miles which I was pretty sure was the chain tensioner. I also had the same rattle after an oil change. I decided to buy the locking tool and replace it at 100k. When I pulled it out it had small cracks developing around where the shoe sits on the shaft. 15k since I put in the new one and I have yet to get the rattle after cold starts or oil changes.

lippyjump

Ready to race!
I have 120k stg2+ and I just bought cam lock to do the job. Does anyone has a DIY on this? Also approximately how many hours to tackle tensioner+chain?

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I dont know of a DIY but if youre mechanically inclined, it should only take about 4-5 hours. Make sure to but new cam girdle bolts (theyre stretch) and torque to spec.

I cant see if this link works because im on a work computer but Ive been told its the manual for our cars: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jtad2dnml99mj3/Mk5 manual.pdf?dl=0

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I dont know of a DIY but if youre mechanically inclined, it should only take about 4-5 hours. Make sure to but new cam girdle bolts (theyre stretch) and torque to spec.

I cant see if this link works because im on a work computer but Ive been told its the manual for our cars: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jtad2dnml99mj3/Mk5 manual.pdf?dl=0

Link works. Thanks a lot!

I replaced the chain and tensioner without pulling the cam cage. You need the locking tool and this polydrive bit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QV4GII/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've read that some people have trouble with the adjuster bolt, but mine came right out with a 2' breaker bar.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Are you folks getting an official VW cam lock tool or is there some DiY lock or aftermarket tool?

realslimnatey

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm at 147k and my shoe broke. You can tell when something isn't right with the chain because of the louder than usual ticking sound. Upon replacing the chain tensioner, found out the cam lobe is completely rounded off on the edges. So now I need to replace the entire camshaft. On top of that, I'm getting a timing belt job at the same time. OH and the adjuster pin on the camshaft adjuster is bent so now I have to search for another one. Dealer priced it at $365. Arghhh!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Not aware of a stated interval...apparently VW believes in "run it until it breaks" placing trust in their sensors and DTC's. But yeah, keep an ear out for the elevated "Slap/Ticking Noise". I replaced the tensioner cover last year(stripped hpfp threads) and the tensioner pad looked good so I opted to wait on replacing the tensioner while the cover was off.

I am at 142k miles and thinking of doing the timing chain tensioner soon...so, just staying aware of any new noises. I may be doing a new camshaft position/speed sensor(07K907601A) and MAF as well...all three are said to help fix/correct decreasing mpg and 8% LTFT. I removed the 07K907601A and wiped off the swarf but this made no difference. Probably will replace it next though. My MAF's mass air reports are good at 270 to 280 g/s...so not in a hurry there.