GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire at idle after k04 upgrade

Larryd96

So, long story short I just upgraded to a k04, injectors and fuel pump. While in there I cleaned some of the carbon off the intake valves, not all mind you but it looked better then what it did. After starting it up yesterday it throws a CEL for misfire on 3 cylinders from what I’ve read this could be due to the carbon and solution getting into the cyclinder and burning off. So this morning took out the plugs and they were black. I put in 4 new ngk’s take it out and it runs better but after a short time starts misfiring again at idle. Haven’t taken this new set out yet but does this seem like my plugs keep burning up due to this partial carbon cleaning. Also, what would be a standard plug I could use in my k04 setup that if they are getting chewed up isn’t costing me 13 a Pop to replace. Just an after thought, I replaced my coil packs about a month ago.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So, long story short I just upgraded to a k04, injectors and fuel pump. While in there I cleaned some of the carbon off the intake valves, not all mind you but it looked better then what it did. After starting it up yesterday it throws a CEL for misfire on 3 cylinders from what I’ve read this could be due to the carbon and solution getting into the cyclinder and burning off. So this morning took out the plugs and they were black. I put in 4 new ngk’s take it out and it runs better but after a short time starts misfiring again at idle. Haven’t taken this new set out yet but does this seem like my plugs keep burning up due to this partial carbon cleaning. Also, what would be a standard plug I could use in my k04 setup that if they are getting chewed up isn’t costing me 13 a Pop to replace. Just an after thought, I replaced my coil packs about a month ago.

Maybe you disturbed the carbon deposits by only doing a partial cleanup and are now having remains flake off? For K04 I used NGK 4853 PFR7B gap 0.26" not sure what you are using.

Larryd96

Maybe you disturbed the carbon deposits by only doing a partial cleanup and are now having remains flake off? For K04 I used NGK 4853 PFR7B gap 0.26" not sure what you are using.

Thanks for the reply, Ive been using the Ngk 1675. I’ll look into the ones your using and see if that helps.

Larryd96

Are you setting the gap on your new plugs or just installing them

Thanks for the reply, it’s funny you mention that because the new ngk 1675’s that I picked up are supposed to be pre gapped to .032 but they were all at .028. Which I’ve read most k04 users are running the gap at.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks for the reply, it’s funny you mention that because the new ngk 1675’s that I picked up are supposed to be pre gapped to .032 but they were all at .028. Which I’ve read most k04 users are running the gap at.

No such thing as pre-gapped. Always need to check.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I run OEM plugs @ 0.028"...when I used the DM k04 tune for a couple years, I ran the PFR7B's with same gap due to some shuddering at high rpm's.

I assume you meant you did a manual carbon removal, is this right? Hopefully you didn't F-up the valve seat by not removing large and 'hidden from view' chunks of dislodged carbon. Might need to test compression if doesn't clear up with different plugs.

Larryd96

No such thing as pre-gapped. Always need to check.

Thanks for the reply and tip I’ll be sure to check from now on. So I picked up some Autolite iridiums this morning one of the reviews was to check the gap. Sure enough they were way off so I gapped them to .028, switched around a couple coil packs and my misfire moved. Went down to my local napa and picked up 4 new coil packs and no more misfires. Idles a little low but I’m assuming that’s my tune. Pulls hard all the way to redline :thumbsup:

Larryd96

I run OEM plugs @ 0.028"...when I used the DM k04 tune for a couple years, I ran the PFR7B's with same gap due to some shuddering at high rpm's.

I assume you meant you did a manual carbon removal, is this right? Hopefully you didn't F-up the valve seat by not removing large and 'hidden from view' chunks of dislodged carbon. Might need to test compression if doesn't clear up with different plugs.

Yep, did a manual clean. Opted not to use a wire brush on a drill and just use some metal picks and sea foam on opened valves and valvoline non chlorinated heavy duty brake cleaner on the closed ones then Used my shop vac with a small tub to suck out the carbon soup once I loosened it up with the pick. It ended up being the coilpacks. I wouldn’t think it would have been because I just purchase them (R8) from amazon only a month ago. Glad I found the solution before I read your post I would have been worries I screwed something up doing the cleaning.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
New R8 coils aren't always the best...I still use oem coils.
Having the same turbo as a MK6 Golf R, oem stuff seems to work best. Still using oem PCV, coils, plugs, and "R" injectors. I stick with OEM sensors as well.

Yeah, good it was less tragic as the concern I posted.

Larryd96

New R8 coils aren't always the best...I still use oem coils.
Having the same turbo as a MK6 Golf R, oem stuff seems to work best. Still using oem PCV, coils, plugs, and "R" injectors. I stick with OEM sensors as well.

Yeah, good it was less tragic as the concern I posted.

Thanks a lot for all your input, I’ll for sure keep the oem parts in mind as replacements if I run not any other issues. :bow:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks for the reply and tip I’ll be sure to check from now on. So I picked up some Autolite iridiums this morning one of the reviews was to check the gap. Sure enough they were way off so I gapped them to .028, switched around a couple coil packs and my misfire moved. Went down to my local napa and picked up 4 new coil packs and no more misfires. Idles a little low but I’m assuming that’s my tune. Pulls hard all the way to redline :thumbsup:

Nice! glad to hear you got it sorted.