GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG behavior

Zayayoung

Hey all, I wanted to confirm that my DSG is behaving as it should. Once its really warmed up I notice a couple things: Firstly and most concerning is that lets say I slow down to about 5mph and then accelerate, it kind of "jerks" back into gear, not terribly but I can notice it as the driver. and also when its shifting from first to second and second to third its not as smooth as a shift as the rest of the gears, Again its not terrible and if it weren't for my paranoia I'm sure I wouldn't notice at all. The last thing is that when coming to a complete stop, the final 2nd to 1st shift is very noticeable, again its not making any noises it just seems to be a very noticeable shift. I'm mainly worried about causing damage, but if this is somewhat normal behavior of a DCT I guess I'll learn to live with it.

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
Hey all, I wanted to confirm that my DSG is behaving as it should. Once its really warmed up I notice a couple things: Firstly and most concerning is that lets say I slow down to about 5mph and then accelerate, it kind of "jerks" back into gear, not terribly but I can notice it as the driver. and also when its shifting from first to second and second to third its not as smooth as a shift as the rest of the gears, Again its not terrible and if it weren't for my paranoia I'm sure I wouldn't notice at all. The last thing is that when coming to a complete stop, the final 2nd to 1st shift is very noticeable, again its not making any noises it just seems to be a very noticeable shift. I'm mainly worried about causing damage, but if this is somewhat normal behavior of a DCT I guess I'll learn to live with it.
How many miles are on it? When was the last time you did a service on it? What kind of car is it in? What year? Is it subject to TSB changes? Did you ever get those done?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Sounds normal to me, mine behaves the same way. DSGs are naturally kind of jerky under normal city driving conditions. It acts differently depending on the load you are putting on it. In other words, it will shift quicker, and more smoothly, the more throttle you put into it. At low speeds it kind of jerks around, and sometimes doesn't know what gear to be in when going up a hill.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
You run auto or paddle? It took me nearly 4 months to fully get used to the dsg. In the becinning i was sure i must have had a bad gearbox. But after some months i learned to use it better and now i never stumble across such problems anymore.

Found a huge dsg thread for dummies a while back and i learned alot from it.
Afaik the dsg needs time to do its stuff before you accelerate. Took a while to get used to bug i never push the pedal after a stop anymore. Always release the brake and let the dsg get into frist gear and start rolling before i gas for smoothness.
I also learned with paddles that everytime you downshift the gearbox think you do it because you are going to accelerate and now to slow down.
Thats why the dsg will automaticly downshift smoothly for yyou when you slow down. Manually downshifting will be jerky cause it thinks you are going to accelerate. You can get this confirmed by trying to downshift when pressing the gas and you will see you get a smooth shift. Slowing speed with downshifting while getting near a stop or crossroads as we do with manual cars doesnt seem to be the case for the dsg. It will just jerk cause its getting ready for speed.

After i got used to this i never noticdd anything bad anymore. If i remembered this thread about the dsg i would have linked you.

Another thing i did a complete dsg reset using vagcom so the gearbox relearned my own patterns instead of the previous owner. This changed alot.

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
You run auto or paddle? It took me nearly 4 months to fully get used to the dsg. In the becinning i was sure i must have had a bad gearbox. But after some months i learned to use it better and now i never stumble across such problems anymore.

Afaik the dsg needs time to do its stuff before you accelerate. Took a while to get used to bug i never push the pedal after a stop anymore. Always release the brake and let the dsg get into frist gear and start rolling before i gas for smoothness.
I also learned with paddles that everytime you downshift the gearbox think you do it because you are going to accelerate and now to slow down.
Thats why the dsg will automaticly downshift smoothly for yyou when you slow down. Manually downshifting will be jerky cause it thinks you are going to accelerate. You can get this confirmed by trying to downshift when pressing the gas and you will see you get a smooth shift. Slowing speed with downshifting while getting near a stop or crossroads as we do with manual cars doesnt seem to be the case for the dsg. It will just jerk cause its getting ready for speed.

After i got used to this i never noticdd anything bad anymore. If i remembered this thread about the dsg i would have linked you.

Another thing i did a complete dsg reset using vagcom so the gearbox relearned my own patterns instead of the previous owner. This changed alot.
Link to how to reset the learning behaviors? Or explanation of how to go about doing such a thing?

Zayayoung

How many miles are on it? When was the last time you did a service on it? What kind of car is it in? What year? Is it subject to TSB changes? Did you ever get those done?

120k, Its going in for a fluid and filter change soon, should I expect it to smooth out afterwards?. it's an 09 GTI, as far as I'm aware it wasn't one that was recalled for the Mechatronic unit.

I've noticed I can basically make the symptoms non existent by using the paddles, and sort of easing back on the throttle when going from decelerating to accelerating. but I was under the impression that this was basically an automatic and I shouldn't have to do anything but drive. If I have to cater to it in order to have a DCT then I will, its worth it for me, I just didn't know I needed to.

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
120k, Its going in for a fluid and filter change soon, should I expect it to smooth out afterwards?. it's an 09 GTI, as far as I'm aware it wasn't one that was recalled for the Mechatronic unit.
Yep, get the fluid changed. Ask about the TSB while you're there.

My '09 GTI (before it was totaled) smoothed out some after a 40k DSG change.

Zayayoung

Yep, get the fluid changed. Ask about the TSB while you're there.

My '09 GTI (before it was totaled) smoothed out some after a 40k DSG change.

I'm not taking it to a dealership as there aren't any good ones in my area apparently (Houston :/) I'm taking it to a local shop called BarTuning, should they still be able to tell me about said TSB?

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
I'm not taking it to a dealership as there aren't any good ones in my area apparently (Houston :/) I'm taking it to a local shop called BarTuning, should they still be able to tell me about said TSB?
If they're any good, yes. If they're no good, then, no. lol
If wanna bring it up to Dallas, I know of a really good shop here tht could probably tell you. (The Lord of the Rings is an Audi shop that also happens to work on VW's)
Also, if you call the stealership, they might be able to tell you if it's been done yet or not. They'll just need your VIN to look it up. I tried this with Rusty Wallace in DFW but never got a good response. (they only tried to sell me a new car, lol.) Haven't bothered to find a different stealership to call, yet.

Zayayoung

If they're any good, yes. If they're no good, then, no. lol
If wanna bring it up to Dallas, I know of a really good shop here tht could probably tell you. (The Lord of the Rings is an Audi shop that also happens to work on VW's)
Also, if you call the stealership, they might be able to tell you if it's been done yet or not. They'll just need your VIN to look it up. I tried this with Rusty Wallace in DFW but never got a good response. (they only tried to sell me a new car, lol.) Haven't bothered to find a different stealership to call, yet.

Hahaha sounds like my local stealerships as well. The shop has excellent reviews, and is apparently transparent, but I'll be the judge. I would LOVE to do it myself but I'm a perfectionist, and don't have Vag Com to monitor tranny temps to make sure I'm doing it 100% to the T.

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
Hahaha sounds like my local stealerships as well. The shop has excellent reviews, and is apparently transparent, but I'll be the judge. I would LOVE to do it myself but I'm a perfectionist, and don't have Vag Com to monitor tranny temps to make sure I'm doing it 100% to the T.
I've done it sans VAGCOM. I didn't leave the engine running, iirc. (it's been since 2012-ish)
I don't have the means to do it myself anymore or I'd tell you to come up to DFW with a 6-pack.

Zayayoung

I've done it sans VAGCOM. I didn't leave the engine running, iirc. (it's been since 2012-ish)
I don't have the means to do it myself anymore or I'd tell you to come up to DFW with a 6-pack.

I appreciate it, it seems like everything for VW and Audi is in DFW. I'm stuck down here SOL. :iono:

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed

I've noticed I can basically make the symptoms non existent by using the paddles, and sort of easing back on the throttle when going from decelerating to accelerating. but I was under the impression that this was basically an automatic and I shouldn't have to do anything but drive. If I have to cater to it in order to have a DCT then I will, its worth it for me, I just didn't know I needed to.

My car also sometimes does weird and rough shifts in auto. Like im pushing throttle 50% and expect the car to pull at least 5k rpm before it shifts. Then it shifts at 4k and at thesane tine im pushing the throttle a bit more down and accidentally happen when i shift. Then i get a rough shift and a "bang" sound from the from the gearbox. I just been driving on snow for the last 6 months and it feels like the patterns have changed a bit. I need to push the throttle way down for a downshift. And it often gears up when i not expect it. I might just do a new reset after service soon.