GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 Golf R Transmission on MK5?

DeWet

Ready to race!
Anyone tried fitting a Golf mk6 R gearbox and drive train to a MK5?

Looking for a cheap way of getting 4 motion on my MK5 and want an alternative to the TT MK1 gearbox with R32 drive train option.

Thanks

Bluepower

Passed Driver's Ed
mk6 R gearbox fits but that's the easy part of a 4-motion swap... hardest part is the drive-train to the rear and rear axle/drivetrain mounting..

DeWet

Ready to race!
mk6 R gearbox fits but that's the easy part of a 4-motion swap... hardest part is the drive-train to the rear and rear axle/drivetrain mounting..

Did they change the mounting points for the rear axle?
I know about the issue with the spare wheel pan and space for the rear diff but that I can sort out.

Also with the prop shaft is will the exhaust or anything need to be changed to get it all to fit?

DeWet

Ready to race!
Someone told me that the fuel tank also need to be replace for it to fit a mk5........can anyone confirm please?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

DeWet

Ready to race!
Aside from all the coding and refreshing to TCU/ECU/ABS/ETC, the physical things that need to be changed are.

-spare wheel well/hatch floor
-fuel tank
-exhaust
-rear subframe
I had a look at the parts and noticed the parts you mentioned.
Dou you know of a post somewhere describing whats needed for the connections to the rear diff and then TCU/ECU/ABS/etc?
I only have the MK70 ABS in my car and went though a bit of hassles getting the controller updated for the white cluster so not sure whats needed to make this work.
Is there an option to leave things out and bypas electronics to have 4 motion without the stability control etc?

DeWet

Ready to race!
Aside from all the coding and refreshing to TCU/ECU/ABS/ETC, the physical things that need to be changed are.

-spare wheel well/hatch floor
-fuel tank
-exhaust
-rear subframe
Im picking up rear frame with its parts on Thursday.

I can install it without having the propshaft or transmission yet right? As far as I read the diff will be disengaged without the haldex controlller connected.

I need to sort out all the sensors and wiring wirh the install and then also get transmission with propshaft installed before testing the complete setup.

Anyone oerhaps have wiring diagrams for the haldex controller?

DeWet

Ready to race!
Ok so I now have all the bits needed for the awd conversion except for the gearbox.

Looking online I see the golf manual mk6 R gearbox is KZV code.

So the question is which will be better to get?
Mk1 TT or the mk6 R gearbox?

Further to this what needs to change on the ECU for the haldex controller?
I will need to get wiring sorted and I saw it needs signal from canbus and abs but not sure what need to change on my mk5 gti ecu to get it all to work and how to get it done.
Any of the 4 motion abs controllers ok to use? I see there are a couple discontinued ones listed for the golf under the vw diagrams

Last edited:

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
There’s no such thing as a “cheap way” to deal with much on these. But yeah the spare tire tub has to be cut out in favor of a compact spare tub for the rear diff to fit. If you go thru with it also try the haldex flash. I’m using UM haldex software which makes R32 more enjoyable off the line & around corners at high speeds. If you decide all this is too much project, at least do mechanical limited slip in the front.

DeWet

Ready to race!
There’s no such thing as a “cheap way” to deal with much on these. But yeah the spare tire tub has to be cut out in favor of a compact spare tub for the rear diff to fit. If you go thru with it also try the haldex flash. I’m using UM haldex software which makes R32 more enjoyable off the line & around corners at high speeds. If you decide all this is too much project, at least do mechanical limited slip in the front.
It will definately happen........eventually :)
Its takrn me 2 years to prep for a gti conversion on my N/A 2.0 fsi and its the cylinderhead swap is only happening beginning of July.

When engine is gti I can do spare wheel tub swap with rear frame, tank and exhaust(all ready as per pic above)

When I get gearbox sorted I can do prop shaft and gearbox in one go.

Somewhere in the middle of all of this I will swap out abs and hopefully get some info from the guys on here on what else to change regarding ecu etc.

All this must happen without the wife knowing so currently have all the bits stored in a mate's shed :)