GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, I thought I had a dsg

Stevewilson1983

I was just looking through a couple modules on my car, and central conv, byte 17, bit 2 is checked off (displayed as "0 = auto / 1 = manual").

Now I'm not an expert, but since my gearshift only moves straight up and down, and I can only seem to find 2 pedals on the floor, I would think this shouldn't be checked off. The long coding helper displays byte 17 as "FC". I opened a scan I did just after buying the car last year, and it was the same.

Just wondering if anyone out there can see if their dsg shows the same thing or not.

Also, while I'm on the dsg subject, I notice it is terrible at coasting.. seems to downshift and engage the clutch in every gear as it decelerates. My drive is mostly hwy, so lately I've been bumping up to neutral coming towards a red light, and rev match it to come back into drive if the light goes green before I reach it. No lurch or anything doing so, but I just thought I'd ask if this is a terrible idea, as my old tdi, and all my cars before it were manual.

carbonduc27

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4dr Stage2
Hmmm,

I am going to throw out a couple of theories. Since VW offers a manual, auto AND dsg my guess is auto is actually for the automatic. Not sure what that controls but maybe the gear indicator in the dash screen.

As for shifting, are you sure you are not driving around is S (sport)? that holds the gears much longer and causes downshifting and high revs. Good Luck! :)

Stevewilson1983

Hmmm,

I am going to throw out a couple of theories. Since VW offers a manual, auto AND dsg my guess is auto is actually for the automatic. Not sure what that controls but maybe the gear indicator in the dash screen.

As for shifting, are you sure you are not driving around is S (sport)? that holds the gears much longer and causes downshifting and high revs. Good Luck! :)

Oh, I wasn't aware there was an actual automatic available in these cars.. Or maybe just the same central convenience module in cars that do have that tranny. Oh well.. no problems, so I guess it's not worth losing sleep over.

But in regards to my other question, no I mean if you're doing hwy speeds and let off the throttle completely, the tach doesn't drop, and you can feel the drag of the engine as compared to if you were in neutral. But it's no big deal either.. I would imagine if it would only be hard on anything I'd feel it.

Thanks though!

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Oh, I wasn't aware there was an actual automatic available in these cars.. Or maybe just the same central convenience module in cars that do have that tranny. Oh well.. no problems, so I guess it's not worth losing sleep over.

But in regards to my other question, no I mean if you're doing hwy speeds and let off the throttle completely, the tach doesn't drop, and you can feel the drag of the engine as compared to if you were in neutral. But it's no big deal either.. I would imagine if it would only be hard on anything I'd feel it.

Thanks though!

In a manual you would not put it in neutral generally either. While the drag slows down the car, keeping it in gear allows it to cut fuel injection completely (as the inertia is enough to power the car systems like alternator and AC) and thus save fuel while decelerating (while you would have an idle fuel consumption in neutral).

You could argue that if you just intent to coast then you would save more fuel being in neutral but clutching out, go to neutral (because just clutching out for an extended period of time is bad for the throwout bearing or whatever engage the clutches in the DSG) and back in gear as soon as you are accelerating again would put more stress on the transmission.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
This guy is a bit of an ass but provides some great info. Here is a link of him explaining duel clutch transmission. Beware he is not a VW fan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLOwY3w_TNc

Ahah yeah I saw some of his videos. On the one hand he seems knowledgeable on some topics but on the other hand some of his videos seem just to be a rant against modern systems (or useless added complexity for him) like start&stop systems where he gets some things wrong in the process. And no, definitely not a VW fan :biggrin:

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
It was mentioned earlier how sport mode will aggressively downshift, and that's completely true, but I'll point out that I've noticed drive mode is much smoother than manual mode in terms of coasting to a red light with no throttle. I have no idea why drive and manual don't have identical behavior in terms of automatic downshift when coasting. In fact, I find that the jolty deceleration in manual puts me at risk for getting rear ended, since I end up decelerating (without braking) more than any other car on the road. Sometimes I'll drag the brake pedal even though I don't want to decelerate more, just so the lights come on. Or flip it to drive as I coast, then back to manual when the light turns green.

So ridiculous.

But back to the original question: I also have it checked (1) which means manual. Very strange, since you'd think DSG=automatic in that context. But perhaps unchecked (0) is truly for cars with a slushbox, and no MkV GTI would be coded that way. Anyone else?

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
It was mentioned earlier how sport mode will aggressively downshift, and that's completely true, but I'll point out that I've noticed drive mode is much smoother than manual mode in terms of coasting to a red light with no throttle. I have no idea why drive and manual don't have identical behavior in terms of automatic downshift when coasting. In fact, I find that the jolty deceleration in manual puts me at risk for getting rear ended, since I end up decelerating (without braking) more than any other car on the road. Sometimes I'll drag the brake pedal even though I don't want to decelerate more, just so the lights come on. Or flip it to drive as I coast, then back to manual when the light turns green.

So ridiculous.

But back to the original question: I also have it checked (1) which means manual. Very strange, since you'd think DSG=automatic in that context. But perhaps unchecked (0) is truly for cars with a slushbox, and no MkV GTI would be coded that way. Anyone else?

As a matter of fact, my DSG GTI is also coded with a "1" as if it were manual. I think maybe VW does this because the DSG really is just a manual with an automagic clutch. Two, actually. But that's not the point of the discussion here. The point here is that the DSG is really more like a manual than an automagic/slush box, so it gets coded like a manual...?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
It's more like a manual as far as the internals, but this isn't a module that you'd think cares about the internals. This is the Central Convenience module, which is why it's a weird situation. Convenience is generally about operator controls.