GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which of these two clutch kits?

helldiver14

Passed Driver's Ed
So my stock clutch just went out on my 08 Stage 2 FSI and financially I'm not able to afford a performance clutch kit. Ive read that the stock one can handle up to stage 2+ and that seemed to be the case considering my car has 180k on it with 50k of that being stage 2. Now these are the two options I have found and I will be getting a flywheel. Which of these two would work the best and will I be able to run a single mass flywheel with these units? Also, what else will be needed besides the kit and a flywheel?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4994658&cc=1433377&jsn=468

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4696941&cc=1433377&jsn=466

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
If you want to use either of those kits, you'll need an OEM dual mass flywheel.

Make sure you have new bolts for the flywheel as well as ones for the pressure plate.

If the kit you buy doesn't come with one, a throwout bearing is recommended.

You'll also want to make sure you have a clutch alignment tool.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I heard that you should use a flywheel of the same brand: LuK if you take the LuK kit or Sachs if you take the Sachs kit. Also they sell complete kits with the flywheel included which might be cheaper. The slave cylinder/throwout is included but yes definitely change it at 180k.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
For what its worth, my stock clutch started slipping after 50k miles of stage 2. Everyone said the stock clutch should be able to handle stage 2 so I bought the LuK "Repset" clutch kit and a new LuK flywheel off Rockauto. I installed it myself and it started slipping again in just 12,000 miles. At that point I installed a Sachs Race Engineering clutch kit ($700) and have had no issues with it holding K04 power levels for 2 years / 15K miles.

Both times I removed the slipping stock clutch and found little to no wear on the disk. The problem was that the stock pressure plate didn't have enough clamping force for the extra torque. I would save up an extra $500 and pick up the SRE clutch. Either that or return the car to stock or stage 1.

helldiver14

Passed Driver's Ed
For what its worth, my stock clutch started slipping after 50k miles of stage 2. Everyone said the stock clutch should be able to handle stage 2 so I bought the LuK "Repset" clutch kit and a new LuK flywheel off Rockauto. I installed it myself and it started slipping again in just 12,000 miles. At that point I installed a Sachs Race Engineering clutch kit ($700) and have had no issues with it holding K04 power levels for 2 years / 15K miles.

Both times I removed the slipping stock clutch and found little to no wear on the disk. The problem was that the stock pressure plate didn't have enough clamping force for the extra torque. I would save up an extra $500 and pick up the SRE clutch. Either that or return the car to stock or stage 1.

I think my stock flywheel is going aswell. So I'm looking at DKM and also does the Mk6 golf R setup work on our Mk5 GTI's?

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I think my stock flywheel is going aswell. So I'm looking at DKM and also does the Mk6 golf R setup work on our Mk5 GTI's?

If you are buying a clutch for use with the stock flywheel, odds are that a clutch kit for a MK6 Golf R will not work on a MK5 GTI because the MK5 came with a Luk flywheel and most Golf Rs came with Sachs flywheels. If you're buying a clutch kit which includes a new flywheel then it would be interchangeable between both cars.