GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with MKV GTI rear wheel bearing

ebarker9

My 2007 GTI has had a left rear ABS sensor fault (mechanical malfunction, intermittent) for the past couple of months. I went ahead and replaced the sensor given that it was the easiest thing to start with but it didn't resolve the issue so I did the wheel bearing as well. This still hasn't resolved the issue, but the bigger problem is that I now have what appears to be/sounds like a seized bearing on that side (high pitched squeal and a lot of heat generated). Unfortunately it didn't become obvious until a longer drive to the airport (where my car is now parked) and I'm now slightly concerned about being able to drive home. I used the SKF part off of ECS:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-skf-parts/rear-wheel-bearing-assembly/1k0598611~skf/

Torqued the replacement down to the stated 180NM+180 degrees using a new triple square bolt and, if anything, didn't quite get to the 180 degree mark. Struggling to see where I could have made a mistake. The only thing that that I can think of is that the rear rotor was quite corroded and, despite spending some time trying to clean it up prior to re-installing, may not be mating nicely with the replacement bearing/hub assembly which could cause it to be rubbing on the pads. Either that or a faulty replacement bearing or my torque wrench is way off of calibration, both of which seem unlikely. I'm going to order replacement pads/rotors anyway for when I get home, but wondering if anyone has thoughts on what the issue could be.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Very hard trouble shoot over the internet. If the wheel bearing is bad you can tell by grabbing the wheel/tire and trying to move it. A bad/loose wheel bearing will allow the tire/wheel to move when you do this test. You can do this with the car on the ground.

The other thing to try is to jack the rear wheel off the ground and try to spin the tire/wheel (make sure you don't have the parking brake on).

ebarker9

Understood, thanks. I will certainly try that when/if I get the car back to my house. It's currently in an airport parking garage so I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what the issue might be before flying back.