GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just picked up this beauty

Along with the BSH boost tap and the New South Gauge. Any problems with the gauge, pod or tap that I should be aware of before installing.

Attachments

• 20081229_boostgauge_03TN.jpg
    20081229_boostgauge_03TN.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:

AznKlique

2007 GTI DSG
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I recently installed mine and I love it. It's a really convenient place to put the gauge. There are several tutorials online for the install. Hardest part was running the line through the firewall and under the dash. I ran the vacuum line through a rubber boot on the firewall just behind the battery. When you remove the battery, you'll see the rubber boot. It has a bunch of nipples on it. I just sliced one of the nipples off and ran the line through there.

As for the tap, I had somewhat of a hard time screwing on the nozzle tip to the tap. Maybe you'll have better luck.

ShoreLineBlur07

Wheel Man
Along with the BSH boost tap and the New South Gauge. Any problems with the gauge, pod or tap that I should be aware of before installing.

It's a very good product. I've had mine for a few months and I'm really happy with it. I have a couple suggestions however. First, I found the vacuum hose included in the kit a bit underwhelming. I ordered a silicone hose from Hose Techniques for piece of mind going forward (it's much beefier and it's one solid piece). Another thing you should do is make sure the "no-buzz" fitting is installed pretty close to the boost tap. This is the most effective location for killing the buzz (which is incredibly annoying). Good luck with it!

Odd that the line would go though the firewall. Is there not a digital controller in the engine bay that would then supply a wire straight to the gauge. Im no gauge expert but it seems strange to run such a long vac line. Maybe thats why this gauge was so inexpensive?

What causes this buzz you speak of.

ShoreLineBlur07

Wheel Man
I cannot answer your first question because I'm not sure, but I have seen many boost gauges that work this way (long vacuum line to a boost tap on the intake manifold), so I don't think it's that uncommon.

The buzz is from a lack of dampening in the vacuum line. In my case, I accidentally installed the gauge without the no buzz fitting first, and it was very apparent and annoying. It only took about a week or so for me to become fed up and install the fitting (which is included in the kit), and after doing so, the buzz was completely gone and still is.

I cannot answer your first question because I'm not sure, but I have seen many boost gauges that work this way (long vacuum line to a boost tap on the intake manifold), so I don't think it's that uncommon.

The buzz is from a lack of dampening in the vacuum line. In my case, I accidentally installed the gauge without the no buzz fitting first, and it was very apparent and annoying. It only took about a week or so for me to become fed up and install the fitting (which is included in the kit), and after doing so, the buzz was completely gone and still is.

I read that different locations of the "no buzz fitting" affects wether or not the buzz is apparent. Where on the line did you install yours?

ShoreLineBlur07

Wheel Man
I started at the beginning of the vacuum line at the boost tap end and went about 4 inches towards the gauge and cut the line. I put in the no buzz fitting there, and zip-tied the hose around it at each end of the fitting. (Note: I did not use the hose supplied, so if you do use the supplied hose it might not be so easy to just cut it and stick it in there). Regardless, I've read in a few different places that installing it close to the tap was more effective than installing it near the gauge itself.

I started at the beginning of the vacuum line at the boost tap end and went about 4 inches towards the gauge and cut the line. I put in the no buzz fitting there, and zip-tied the hose around it at each end of the fitting. (Note: I did not use the hose supplied, so if you do use the supplied hose it might not be so easy to just cut it and stick it in there). Regardless, I've read in a few different places that installing it close to the tap was more effective than installing it near the gauge itself.

LOL! That's like the 10th time that I read that someone used a different hose. This hose must be a real POS. What did you use?

Scratch that... you already told me.

ShoreLineBlur07

Wheel Man
LOL! That's like the 10th time that I read that someone used a different hose. This hose must be a real POS. What did you use?

Scratch that... you already told me.

Yeah, I bought the smallest diameter vacuum hose Hose Techniques sells. It's the perfect size for the boost tap. When you compare the two, the HT hose looks and feels so much better than the kit hose. Plus, it's one solid piece, not three (tiny vacuum hose and 2 thicker attachment pieces). No sense to have extra breaks in the hose if you don't need them. Other than that, it's been great.

Yeah, I bought the smallest diameter vacuum hose Hose Techniques sells. It's the perfect size for the boost tap. When you compare the two, the HT hose looks and feels so much better than the kit hose. Plus, it's one solid piece, not three (tiny vacuum hose and 2 thicker attachment pieces). No sense to have extra breaks in the hose if you don't need them. Other than that, it's been great.

You know what diameter it was? Hell I'll order one right now.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Odd that the line would go though the firewall. Is there not a digital controller in the engine bay that would then supply a wire straight to the gauge. Im no gauge expert but it seems strange to run such a long vac line. Maybe thats why this gauge was so inexpensive?

What causes this buzz you speak of.

DEFI gauges compatible with the Control Unit II have a digital controller mounted in the engine bay. All that goes through the firewall is an electronic signal wire.

DEFI gauges compatible with the Control Unit II have a digital controller mounted in the engine bay. All that goes through the firewall is an electronic signal wire.

That's what I'm talking about... I bet that sh!t doesn't buzz. What's this lame vacuum hose to the cabin crap, LOL. Oh well. I already bought mine so I'm gonna try it out.

That Defi gauge looks like a nice piece of equipment though.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
That's what I'm talking about... I bet that sh!t doesn't buzz. What's this lame vacuum hose to the cabin crap, LOL. Oh well. I already bought mine so I'm gonna try it out.

That Defi gauge looks like a nice piece of equipment though.

It certainly is.

I have video, I just remembered!

http://vimeo.com/10509157

Bah, can't embed Vimeo on this. Well have a look at the link.