GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone w/ baby driving 3-door GTI?

ColdPlayer

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there anyone driving (or thinking of driving) 3-door GTI with a baby or a toddler?

how do you carry your baby to the back seat... I mean..

In a lust for 3-door model, I thought out this scenario.
1) wife gets into the back seat
2) husband hand over baby to wife
3) wife buckles the baby into the baby seat
4) the baby grows in the backseat of my beloved GTI until he/she gets to enjoy the perfecly barred "jail-like" space.

Supposing that you and your wife would gladly help each other out... will it really be that difficult?

Last edited:

bilbos

On the Kop
Not much help I know as I haven't got a child, but I imagine it will be quite a chore to put the baby in and get it out of a 3-door car. It is difficult enough for an adult to get in the back seat:laugh:

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
We have a five year old. She sits fine in the back with a booster seat. She also loves the car. She already has her FAST.

bilbos

On the Kop
ColdPlayer said:
Supposing that you and your wife would gladly help each other out... will it really that difficult?

You forgot:
5) Wife has to back out of car, put seat down and then get in to the front.

It won't be difficult, it will just become a PAIN IN THE ASS in the long term.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
Dudes, you're not kidding. I've got a 4 month old and I just got the 3door a month ago. Now matter how I try to justify it. it's a biatch w/ the car seat. Luckily my wife knows how much I enjoy the car, so she's not on my back as long as I park it on the street. Honestly though, I should have waited until the 4door came out, but after one test drive I was an addict.

I've got a 3 dr at the mo but I have ordered a 5 dr GTi expecting delivery 27/3/06 and to be honest I can't wait...... hacked off with the 3 dr, looks nice but a real pain in the ass!

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
Dirty Pucka said:
I've got a 3 dr at the mo but I have ordered a 5 dr GTi expecting delivery 27/3/06 and to be honest I can't wait...... hacked off with the 3 dr, looks nice but a real pain in the ass!

damn dude, 27/3/06? thats a long time away. like 24 months!

haha jk.

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
Dirty Pucka said:

Got rid of my TT as there was no way I was going to struggle getting a baby seat in the back of that (even though it would fit).
5 dr MKV GTI due in early April..

dub964

Passed Driver's Ed
I took my 4 week old to the VW dealership with the baby seat and tested it in the show room - I honestly didn't think it was too big a deal, especially with the 1 pull leaver to get in the back..... The test run convinced my wife that that we should go for the 3 door - Go for It !!!

peruski

Passed Driver's Ed
ColdPlayer said:
Is there anyone driving (or thinking of driving) 3-door GTI with a baby or a toddler?

how do you carry your baby to the back seat... I mean..

In a lust for 3-door model, I thought out this scenario.
1) wife gets into the back seat
2) husband hand over baby to wife
3) wife buckles the baby into the baby seat
4) the baby grows in the backseat of my beloved GTI until he/she gets to enjoy the perfecly barred "jail-like" space.

Supposing that you and your wife would gladly help each other out... will it really that difficult?

Yes, it really is that difficult. This this exactly why I sold my '00 stage 3 GTI...I thought I could make it work and didn't wan't to sacrifice the look of the 2 door...even a 12 second timeslip didn't make up for the misery of getting back there to buckle the little guy in...It get's real old, real fast. Especially if you have a bunch of errands to run...

It SUCKED...I am waiting for the MKV 5 doors to come out because as luck would have it....I have 2 sons now!!!:thumbup:

McPsycho V said:
damn dude, 27/3/06? thats a long time away. like 24 months!

haha jk.

Bloody yanks......:wink: forgot you guys get the date the other way around!!!

Just for you McPsycho 3/27/06:thumbsup:

.........its been a long enough wait as it is....... 12 weeks by the time it gets here!!!!

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Luckily my son is 4 y/o, so no worries here. Look at it this way. One day they'll be old enough to buckle up their own seatbelt :biggrin:

ejconcepcion

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I have a 3 week old 2006 GTI 3 door and a 2 month old baby. Life is pretty good!

The car seat in the back really isn't that bad because mine has a base. It basically just snaps in. I can put it in just by reaching one arm in.

My seat won't go all the way back to my normal driving position, but I'm not sure if it would in a 5 door either.

The main reason I personally didn't mind getting the 3 door is because my wife has a 4 door car, and we use that for family trips.

Hope this helps!