GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VR6 Vs. 1.8T

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Well i have a question about the MKIV. I havnt been that interested in VWs since the MKV came out. How is the MKIV GTI 1.8T Vs. the VR6? I would assume being FWD, having that big V6 made the front pretty darn heavy and caused some serious understeer and pushing in turns? also, what were the accel #s for the 1.8T and Vr6?

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
Well all my experience with the VR6 is with my Mk3 but, I autocrossed it for a good year so...

Anyway, the torque from the VR made up for the fact that it was front heavy. You can compensate for that front heavy issue by retuning the suspension to give the rear more rotation so understeer goes away.

As far as the 1.8T goes it's a relativly balenced car but you have to feather the throttle more becuase if the turbo hits in the corner you have wheel spin issues.

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
from my reading, the 1.8t was much less expensive to modify (similiar to our cars, a chip and other little bolt ons made very significant differences). however i think i would have rather had a vr6, i really wish our cars could produce noise like a v6 can.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
zerogt86 said:
from my reading, the 1.8t was much less expensive to modify (similiar to our cars, a chip and other little bolt ons made very significant differences). however i think i would have rather had a vr6, i really wish our cars could produce noise like a v6 can.

Thats why i haven't gotten rid of the MK3 yet... But i need to... haha

But 1.8T's are easier/cheaper to modify then the VR6 cars... Thats the huge difference between factory n/a and factory turbo.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I had a MK3 vr6, a MK4 vr6, and a 1999 A4 2.8. They all pulled like angry oxes.

Actually, I think the Vr6 is fairly comparable feel-wise to the 2.0T.

The Mk3 was a 12v, and the mk4 was a 24v and the A4 was a 30v.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
PS: if you want something fun to do this summer, read all the posts on vwvortex.com You'll probably be done around September.