GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vw clutch NOOB

sparker

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 06 rabbit and I took it to the dealer because it would not shift into reverse without trying a few times. I was told my clutch is bad and it would be 2k to replace it. I promptly pick my car up and drove home. I got two blocks from my home and I hear a whining noise and the car starts to smoke due to a fluid leak. I would say brake fluid if I had to guess. I get the clutch going out but why am I leaking fluid. I am mainly used to swaping hondas so a little help would be great.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
slave cylinder is blown most likely. If it's leaking, it wont push the pressure plate springs in far enough to release the clutch, and also the leaking fluid will get on the clutch disk

sparker

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the reply. Due to the foul smell of the fluid I am starting to think it is gear oil. If so the dealer is going to have to eat it (cost of repair). The trans case was resealed about 4 months ago. Any I have no clue as to why I would leak gear oil.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
oh yeah if it reeks, then it's gear oil.. probably not a good sign

sparker

Passed Driver's Ed

Yep its a leak. I wont know where it is coming from until I remove the trans.

CharlieMKV

Go Kart Champion
It can't be leaking from there, there's no gear oil in there...the only place the trans is sealed from leaking is here...looks to me like your leaking from your diff

Attachments

• trans 2.JPG
    trans 2.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 363

sparker

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought I might be leaking form the dif also But thats not the case. I got lucky It was the master slave.

Now it is time to order the clutch conversion, master slave and a set of triple squares..... I really hope I don't end up being wrong about the dif. Hell its covered I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the stealership.:fighting0030:

CharlieMKV

Go Kart Champion
I thought I might be leaking form the dif also But thats not the case. I got lucky It was the master slave.

Now it is time to order the clutch conversion, master slave and a set of triple squares..... I really hope I don't end up being wrong about the dif. Hell its covered I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the stealership.:fighting0030:

Clutch conversion?....you can find the those bits anywhere online, don't go for the cheap once tho, the last thing you want is a stripped bit or bolt

sparker

Passed Driver's Ed
I will actually get the bits from cornwell or schwaben. As far as the clutch conversion I am going from dual mass to single mass(regular type of clutch)

sparker

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmmm... my car has been at the dealership for a week now. Not one call to update me or anything. Looks like they are eating this one.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
I will say 06 and 07 rabbits are notorious for blowing the diff through the trans housing but you'd hear a lot of tumping

sparker

Passed Driver's Ed
My car has been at the dealer for a month!!!! Thank goodness for extended warranty. Long story short my clutch went out due to gear oil squirting on it from the input shaft seal. Of course the diff failed. So i get a new transmission flywheel(single mass) I may have to buy the clutch and pressure plate. All in all worth the wait thus far. With the exception of having to drive a base Imprezza.