GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK V GTI Pedal

5 Alive

I've had my Mk V GTI for about 4 months now, but after several months of trying to heel and toe I've conceded defeat! The brake pedal it too far away from the accelerator and is also probably too high. Does anyone know of any aftermarket pedals (covers, arms or the pedals themselves) that would make it easier, or has anyone removed the break pedal arm and bent it (suggestion on how to do this would also be helpful)?

Any suggestions any one has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Why are you trying to heel & toe in the first place? What do you do with your GTI? Autocross?

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. It's hard to do it on the GTI. If you are used to heel-toe on other cars, heel on gas, toe on brake, try reversing. This works a lot better, but is still difficult to get used to.

TeknoGroover said:
I was thinking the same thing. It's hard to do it on the GTI. If you are used to heel-toe on other cars, heel on gas, toe on brake, try reversing. This works a lot better, but is still difficult to get used to.

man... it has only come to my attention recently that people may be doing heel on the gas toe on the brake and that is real akward for me:confused:

my feet naturaly go penguinish more so than pigeon toe... also how do you heel the gas when your toe is up so high?
(the peddle was designed with a hinge at the bottom to allow the toe to push it from the top)

lf i knew how to start a poll i would::iono:

toe brake, heel gas

or

heel brake, toe gas

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI
you could always try having the left part of your toes on the brake and then rotating your ankle so the right part of your toes blips the gas to downshift...that's how I do it with my 3 series..don't know how the distance compares tho...

Fast Eddie GTI

Autocross Newbie
06_TR_GTI said:
you could always try having the left part of your toes on the brake and then rotating your ankle so the right part of your toes blips the gas to downshift...that's how I do it with my 3 series..don't know how the distance compares tho...

That's the way I've done it in my past 4 cars, but I'm not having much luck with the MKV. I can't get enough of a blip to raise the RPM high enough. I think it's the distance between the pedals and the bottom hinge on the gas.

I'm gonna keep practicing though...first on track event in 3 weeks!

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
I had the same problem when I test drove the GTI. The accelerator was just too low for me to comfortably use the heel-toe technique. I guess if I get the GTI, I will eventually be able to do it, just like anything else.