Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Your opinion, explain below.

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
How's does the MK7 tuned compare to the Ko4?

I just flashed stage 2 eurodyne a couple days ago.

I feel like it's faster around town (more torque), but on the highway, in the upper RPMs, I think the k04 might have had a slight advantage. This is butt dyno though, and the overall feel of the car is different. Plus, I'm DSG now and was manual before. Either way, it still has a good deal of power. Close at worse, could actually be more.

The vast difference in the power curve might be tricking me though.

Waiting for the DSG flash to be updated for my box code, so I might be updating this post soon. Should be next day or so.

Overall, the car...

Feels a little lighter on it's feet. Brakes are more responsive even without the performance pack.

Everything being new, feels really good. All touch-surfaces are really a nice upgrade. Still went with the tartan seats (yay plaid), but the new ones are heated (even on the S model). New seats are firm and supportive.

The new infotainment is the most impressive car radio I've ever used. I used to stream BT Pandora from my phone on my RCD510, which was functional. Now, I actually plug USB in and select Pandora on the radio and can change channels, see album art, and everything. Using google maps the same way is also a treat. If a text comes in while driving, the car reads it to me, and when I need to reply, I just say "reply" and it listens to what I say the message is to say. The audio has a little less bass than my GTI did, but i'll be adding my sub anyway, so I am happy with it, so far.

I got a DSG this time around, as the clutches seem to be weak, as the mk5 was. It's pretty awesome. I traded on-the-fly DV dumps for DSG farts. And I can actually drink my coffee on the way to work with a free hand. :happyanim:

I am doing springs soon, and a drop of 1-2" on the mk7 is comparable with 2-3 on the mk5. This means that the stock shocks/struts will last longer.

I don't regret the purchase one bit. I drove the power pack cars and ended up with the S non-pp. All I could get locally was the SE with the performance pack, so rather than the $1500 premium, it was closer to 4500. I don't need leather, fender audio, or sunroof, so I went S. I might add the PP brakes down the road and possibly ed's reps of the xenons (which would have been another 1k option for the lighting package.

If you're on the fence, take a new mk7 for a test drive. You'll know within 5 mins what i'm talking about. It is better. 2 generations better. and it shows.

Add a tune and you're damn near k04 gti power (if not above) and the overall refinement is much better.

Down the road, I will absolutely is38 it, which is basically, to the mk7, what the k04 was to the mk5. But, near the tune of 380hp and 360tq (just under) on a lighter platform. I expect this to feel much more powerful than the k04 was.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
If these are honestly listing all mods...a tuned MK7 with supporting mods will be mostly equal to a equally modded MK5 w/K04. I've seen '7's also have equal and in some cases better dyno results. Usually it's a bit more HP, but also more torque.

Tuned w/DP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTW7JpiFK8w&feature=youtu.be

Intake, DP w/hi-flo CAT, Tuned stage2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fPS_zjf6zg

Add drag radials, DV upgrade, intercooler, and different tune:
https://vimeo.com/122788856

How's does the MK7 tuned compare to the Ko4?

Last edited:

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
If you're on the fence, take a new mk7 for a test drive. You'll know within 5 mins what i'm talking about. It is better. 2 generations better. and it shows.

Yeah I think this basically sums it up. It's clear the MK7 has had 2 generations of improvements so it damn well better be better than the 5, and in every possible objective way it is better.

If these are honestly listing all mods...a tuned MK7 with supporting mods will be mostly equal to a equally modded MK5 w/K04. I've seen '7's also have equal and in some cases better dyno results. Usually it's a bit more HP, but also more torque.

Hahaha well the cars are so new there's not really anything to lie about. There's only 2 turbo options and a few bolt-on parts right now hehe. But yeah as a tuning platform there's simply no way around it, the new car is quite the improvement. Here's some of the more impressive Stage 2 dynos (which would be impressive for a MK5 K04 too):

Downpipe, Intake, Tune:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8272&d=1455808395

Downpipe, Eurodyne Stage 2 Tune on 93 pump:
http://i.imgur.com/vSoNXib.jpg

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Well so far I'm sticking to the MKV. Still not 100% decided however. The MK7, 4 door, dsg comes in just under 23k at a semi local dealer.

I still owe about 7.5k on my MKV (2.5k more than trade value). Im doing the timing belt soon, however by the time I go Ko4, along with mods and tune, I'm looking at throwing a easy 11-14k on a MKV GTI. Not only am I talking about Ko4, but wheels, tires, lowering it, some paint (only one fender), tint, cai... Ect.. It adds up quick, all this assuming that I'm doing the labor. I still have nearly 15,000 wrapped up in a car worth on the high end half that.

I don't mind that and I understand that the MK7 is 23k plus DP, cai and tune. Maybe lowering springs and tint and that'll be pretty much it.

The car will actually have some value going forward, be a better all around car on stage 2 vs Ko4. But that'll easily be probably about 27,000 low end not including interest on whatever amount I decide on financing.

Fuck it I'm getting a Fiesta ST. (Not really) I did just test drive a CPO that was 13k. Car wasn't bad, just no room for kids..

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Fuck it I'm getting a Fiesta ST. (Not really) I did just test drive a CPO that was 13k. Car wasn't bad, just no room for kids..

A CPO Fiesta St that was 13K?? Did it come with all four wheels? That is a great deal haha

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I gotta say those are fun cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
The the OP, at 92k, your MkV still has a shit ton of life in it if you've upkept it well. I say keep it because a Mk7 is going to be at least 4 or 5 years of payments, and you'd be missing the boat if you didn't get one with the HID's, PP, etc. So easily 26-30k depending on the other options. FWIW, I'm dumping a considerable amount of money on a LSD, new transmission (6MT), deadset subframe bushing kit, H&R FSB, and some other things to get my 152k MkV back on the road. Some will say I'm stupid. But my argument is that I want a C5Z and because those are still $18-24k and I can't leave anything stock plus any preventative maintenance it needs if I bought one, I'm looking at damn near $25-30k...Where as putting money into the driveline and redoing the suspension in the next year will cost me $4-5k, but I plan on keeping the car at least a few more years. I've had it since new.

Someone brought a Mk7 PP to autocross a couple times last season, bone stock it was destroying MkV's left and right. With all the electronic aids those things are seriously quick relative to the MkV.

One of the Chicago guys here is usually the top dog in his class in his 6MT PP Mk7 with lightweight Enkei wheels on the RE-71R, a RSB, and Koni shocks (stock springs). It's between him and a Focus ST with similar mods and the same tires. He just won the PAX this past autox on Sunday. He had a 51 second flat. I ran a 55.1 second time in my buddies Fiesta ST (more on that below).

They are very tiny. But they are FUN cars.

A CPO Fiesta St that was 13K?? Did it come with all four wheels? That is a great deal haha

Yeah, because Ford loves incentives. The Focus ST is the same story. I hang out with a lot of the ST guys.

I gotta say those are fun cars!

Ridiculously fun cars. My buddy let me co-drive his FiST this past SCCA autox at Joliet. He's on an E30 tune with stock exhaust making 210whp and about 280wtq. He has slightly taller than stock Michelin PSS tires (not a true autox tire). FMIC and rear motor mount. Otherwise, nothing else.

I beat him in his own car by about 2.5 seconds and he had an extra run; mind you, I haven't autox'd in 2 years and have never driven any FiST, let alone one making similar torque as my KO4 GTI. Car definitely needs a mechanical limited slip diff. But it's so easy to point around the course and through slaloms because of how small it is. With RE-71R tires, I feel I could've hit 52 to 53 seconds. Likes to rotate too. Now I understand why magazines love the car. It has a ton of personality.

ripped

Go Kart Champion
Get a mk7. There so cheap right now

joelmlmkv

Ready to race!
I would also saw keep the V, and put a bit of $ in the car. Buy new motor mounts and trans mounts! Buy a steering wheel from an MKVII. This will trick you into thinking you are driving a new car!

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I'm in the same dilemma. I just looked at a MKVII Autobahn w/pp. I absolutely love the car. I've always wanted a KO4, I have all the supporting mods already but the car is eating oil like crazy. I've done the IE bypass with no luck so I've ordered a valve cover. If the valve cover doesn't help the oil issue there is now way I'm doing rings and valve seals to try to fix the issue. I'd rather part out the car and return it to stock and trade it in. So.... it's MKVII or GLI and I get to buy an IS38.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the same dilemma. I just looked at a MKVII Autobahn w/pp. I absolutely love the car. I've always wanted a KO4, I have all the supporting mods already but the car is eating oil like crazy. I've done the IE bypass with no luck so I've ordered a valve cover. If the valve cover doesn't help the oil issue there is now way I'm doing rings and valve seals to try to fix the issue. I'd rather part out the car and return it to stock and trade it in. So.... it's MKVII or GLI and I get to buy an IS38.

Keep in mind the new GLI does NOT have the same engine setup as the MK7 GTI. It makes significantly less power stock and/or (smaller turbo and I think the heads are different).