GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help please... 1.4 TSI (170)

mrbeck

VW Golf MKV Enthusiast
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
Was driving back from Derby today, pulled out to overtake, accelerated to pass the slower vehicle, then nothing. Sudden loss of power. Car now feels like a bog standard 1.4. I can hear a whining under acceleration which I presume is the supercharger, but then the turbo doesn't appear to kick in. Boost gauge on the dash will not move beyond half way. Turned engine off, then restarted. Oil light on so checked the level. Had oil. Restarted again, no warning light. Finished the drive home with plumes of white/grey smoke coming out the back at random intervals (both under acceleration and while idling).

I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest possible faults before I take it to the stealer's on Monday morning. I'm thinking turbo ist kaputt?

omeydz

BARGAIN RETROFITS!*PM ME*
Car(s)
Golf MK5 1.4
Yep id point at the turbo for this problem.

GTI's with a blown turbo exhibit same symptoms of power loss and plumes of white smoke.

I'd keep driving to a minimum and drive careful till you get the dealers to fix it.

BenTDi

Addicted To Diesel!
Car(s)
VW MK5
I would have said turbo as well, if you can hear the supercharger whining its still boosting so should be ok.

mrbeck

VW Golf MKV Enthusiast
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
Cheers for the replies folks. Will be taking a trip to my not-so-local stealer's in the morning to see if they can find why it has gone into limp mode!

What a lovely way to spend my week off... car-less!

mrbeck

VW Golf MKV Enthusiast
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
Just off phone to the stealers. Problem with the N75 valve apparently.

New one ordered and all under warranty!

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Just off phone to the stealers. Problem with the N75 valve apparently.

New one ordered and all under warranty!

N75 failing is not too uncommon.

mrbeck

VW Golf MKV Enthusiast
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
So had new N75 valve fitted this morning, and no improvement. Now getting a new turbo... fingers crossed!