GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine code AXX.

TASOS

Tuning addict
Cam follower is not a problem on AXX code engines.

Not true.

Cam follower is a common issue for all engine codes (AXX,BWA,BPY ... )

Even more since all the AXX have the rev.A cams you must be 2 times more carefull.

RedRobin

Going With The Flow....
Car(s)
Throbbin' Red VeeDub
^^^^
Hi Gene,

I'm hoping you get to the bottom of this issue but I really posted here because I see that you're using as a signature one of the images I created - I'm very flattered and also amused! It was a bit of a suprise seeing it as I scrolled down the page.

:thumbup:

GTIracer

Streetracer
Car(s)
Golf MKV GTI
i also have a AXX Engine and with my old cams i had no problem.

Mario

Gene Hunt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK 5 GTI
^^^^
Hi Gene,

I'm hoping you get to the bottom of this issue but I really posted here because I see that you're using as a signature one of the images I created - I'm very flattered and also amused! It was a bit of a suprise seeing it as I scrolled down the page.

.........hi Robin nice to see you over here.Ref the sig just thought i would use it for a bit of fun & see if these Americans get it.:thumbup:I didn't know you had made it i just found it on google think. :thumbsup::smile:

RedRobin

Going With The Flow....
Car(s)
Throbbin' Red VeeDub
.........hi Robin nice to see you over here.Ref the sig just thought i would use it for a bit of fun & see if these Americans get it.:thumbup:I didn't know you had made it i just found it on google think. :thumbsup::smile:

....:w00t:

Here's my original: RED INK = Created by RedRobin. The words are a quote from JC.

:headbang:

Gene Hunt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK 5 GTI

Btw, I haven't had any issues on my 06-build / 05-plate AXX engine and have it checked.

.......thing is Robin there in no lose of power or anything like that it's just when warmed up it ticks over like a diesel & for a performance car like these it's not supposed to sound like that + when i come to sell who would buy it sounding like this ?.Trying to get it sorted asap.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
.......thing is Robin there in no lose of power or anything like that it's just when warmed up it ticks over like a diesel & for a performance car like these it's not supposed to sound like that + when i come to sell who would buy it sounding like this ?.Trying to get it sorted asap.

What you're hearing is the injectors; remember it's not a "conventional" injected engine, it employs FSI with a very high pressure (hence the distinctive ticking).

Der Gladiator

Ready to race!
AXX is an euro engine code. The engine distribution is belt driven. The AXX has been replaced in 2006 by the BWA chain driven.

Why the hell did i say the BWA is chaindriven? I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that BWA has a chain instead of belt as found in BPY and AXX.
But the fact is....i can't find again site/books that'd confirm that information.
I've found elsewhere that only CCTA/CBFA has chain, that would mean BWA is belt driven.
So, can someone give a definitiv answer? (it hurts my brain...holly shxit! two years i'm convinced that i have a chain in my engine...!).

GolfRS

Banned
Why the hell did i say the BWA is chaindriven? I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that BWA has a chain instead of belt as found in BPY and AXX.
But the fact is....i can't find again site/books that'd confirm that information.
I've found elsewhere that only CCTA/CBFA has chain, that would mean BWA is belt driven.
So, can someone give a definitiv answer? (it hurts my brain...holly shxit! two years i'm convinced that i have a chain in my engine...!).

Both AXX and BWA have a belt.

/end thread

Noodle gti

Same problem but worst

I have the mk5 Gti axx engine mine was ticking really bad I got told it was loud injectors due to how the axx is built so I went on my way then the engine stopped one day as I was driving now Iv found out its the cam, so the chain n cam n possibly the pistons have broken , Iv contacted vw they quoted me between £815 to £2k so get it checked cos mine broke 4 days after I heard the loud ticking, but Iv heard other Gti petrols sound like diesels but I'm more confused now!!

GLIDN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 Golf GTI TR
Welcome Gene and RedRobin, Usually see you guys over in MK5Golfgti.co.uk. lol

I have an AXX engine in my GTI. Almost 3 years of ownership. My Engine has been ticking loudly since I got it. With 60000km's on the clock. It's about to hit 100000km's.

From all the info I have gather in regards to this issue. I can only determine/assume it's either the Injectors or it's the chain from inlet to outlet CAM.

I have replaced the following - Plugs, Fuel Pump, Three camshaft Buckets. Still made no change in sound. I was always lead to believe it's to do with the injectors.
But it can however point to the CAM's.

I'm sorry it's not the definitive answer you where hoping for. But on a side not the BWA also has this problem.

My friend GTI has this, 3000km's into a new Camshaft bucket it had warn thru and destroyed the Camshaft and pump (APR pump too). So he ended up doing Cambelt, New CAM and fuelpump/camshaft bucket. His car has been quiet ever since.

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
Welcome Gene and RedRobin, Usually see you guys over in MK5Golfgti.co.uk. lol

I have an AXX engine in my GTI. Almost 3 years of ownership. My Engine has been ticking loudly since I got it. With 60000km's on the clock. It's about to hit 100000km's.

From all the info I have gather in regards to this issue. I can only determine/assume it's either the Injectors or it's the chain from inlet to outlet CAM.

I have replaced the following - Plugs, Fuel Pump, Three camshaft Buckets. Still made no change in sound. I was always lead to believe it's to do with the injectors.
But it can however point to the CAM's.

I'm sorry it's not the definitive answer you where hoping for. But on a side not the BWA also has this problem.

My friend GTI has this, 3000km's into a new Camshaft bucket it had warn thru and destroyed the Camshaft and pump (APR pump too). So he ended up doing Cambelt, New CAM and fuelpump/camshaft bucket. His car has been quiet ever since.

Yep, mine has the same diesel sound. Its just cause it direct injection. Also the timing belt tensioner makes a ticking sound. Guess i need to sort mine out soon.