GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

carPC steering wheel controls

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
BTW is the acsii text just normal hex (ie 0x41 for a "A") or some sort of packed format? (have not dug around enough to figure it out for myself :)

wireb

Actually it's not. If you look at that chart 0x61 is not "a" its 0x01 is. The capital letters, numbers, and a few symbols line up with the standard ASCII codes.

But that is exactly what I wanted to know :) I can now code up a translator and start snooping on random packets and see if I can sort out what some of the other messages may mean. (looking for the messages between the sat tuner and radio with the song information in it. Hoping to build a Ipod adapter that plugs in where the sat tuner goes and has full song display on the MFD)

GTI_Fahrenheit_859

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Darkside: What do you mean by "OPS/PDC data"?

Wireb: For an example, with the live ascii translation, I can see that can ID: 65F is scrolling through my VIN.

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
Darkside: What do you mean by "OPS/PDC data"?

OPS/PDC is the park distance sensor stuff. If you don't have a RNS510, you just have the beeper for when you get close to an obstacle. Since the OPS/PDC is connected to CAN, however, you can install an RNS510 for this:

And I want the same displayed on my car computer. The PDC is connected to the motor CAN, but the data has to be sent to the multimedia CAN as well, so the RNS510 can display it.

Golfdubcrazy

Hi this looks like a great project been Reading it up what whas the last can Reading hardware did you use ie. Best results and what software do you use to get the best Reading I have a fully strip wiring loom where I have connected a can gateway radio and steering control so I don't get any distracting msgs. I use to use elm327 but it has a few bugs

wireb

Hi this looks like a great project been Reading it up what whas the last can Reading hardware did you use ie. Best results and what software do you use to get the best Reading I have a fully strip wiring loom where I have connected a can gateway radio and steering control so I don't get any distracting msgs. I use to use elm327 but it has a few bugs

Some are using a canusb device (scroll back they posted a link to it). I am using my own hardware. Hope to have the board files done this weekend so I can get duplicates made.

Right now I have my prototype running under perl. But it just sends strings out a serial port so just about any programing language will work as long as it can connect to and read from a serial port.

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
I use to use elm327 but it has a few bugs

The ELM is a obd2 chip. I.e. it can only connect to the obd2 diagnostic port. Yes, on VW cars, CAN gets translated over OBD2 but this is NOT the same CAN bus we're talking about. Diagnostic can requires a wakeup sequence and your car is put into a diagnostic mode. No idea what this might do to your ECU in the long run (i.e. leaving it connected the entire time).

Besides, all addresses will be different since the diagnostic CAN messages all get translated b the CAN gateway.