GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 #4750 has a new owner!

SenseiGhostly

Little bit of background on me. I'm Lucas and I am a 17 year old car lover and enthusiast. I've been surrounded by cars for my entire life, my dad used to drive a 1978 Datsun 280zx T-Top.
My previous car was a 2012 Dodge Charger SE with about 110,000 miles (I know, that's a lot for a 2012) and it had a slew of problems. Rewind to mid July when I started searching for a MK4 R32. I had no luck so I gave up and started looking into 3 series, older S4s, and Mk6 and Mk5 GTIs. Later I found out about the Mk5 R32, and it all started there. I started looking for one on cargurus, autotrader, and even craigslist every day when I got home from school, occasionally running into some good deals that eventually sold. Until Early December 2016, as I was driving my friend to a dealer to pick up his new car (2011 BMW 335i) he found a 2008 Volkswagen R32 in United Grey for sale on autotrader. I quickly contacted the owner when I got home. Fast forward to this past weekend, I went to test drive it to make sure the DSG wasn't making a weird jolt when changing between gears and in general to make sure it was in good condition. Then fast forward again to today, I got home and there it was, sitting in my driveway. I still can't believe that I am this fortunate to own such an incredible piece of German ingenuity. So this is the start of a build that I will forever remember. I have almost no wrench time but I am fairly well educated on cars so if I get a few things wrong, cut me some slack. :p

About the car:
Year: 2008 (obviously :p)
Make and Model: Volkswagen R32
Miles (as of 2/9/2017): 80,000
Production Number: 4750 / 5000
Color: United Grey Metallic
Installed Options: Standard radio/stereo unit
Mods (to my current knowledge):
-Front slotted brake rotors
-A weird switch two slots to the right of the ESP button. I don't know what the switch looks like but it definitely isn't factory
-I also have an extra front grille with no holes or front plate bracket. It is damaged at the bottom though.

Known issues:
-Small dent on the top of the rear bumper.
-Small dent above the right tail light on the hatch.
-Small dent on the right side of the car where the rear bumper meets the right rear quarter panel.
-Heat shielding material/pad thingy on the underside of the hood is drooping.
-Front splitter area is scraped up pretty bad.
-Front bumper is drooping very slightly (probably not reinstalled correctly or missing pins).
-Needs a DSG service (I'm pretty sure it was done at around 10,000 miles and 40,000 miles) I also have a "SERVICE NOW!" Warning on my cluster display.
-Check engine light (Previous owner told me that he left the gas cap on the roof at a gas stop and forgot to put it back on. He didn't find out about this until the next gas stop, and he replaced the gas cap soon after) When I get my DSG serviced I will ask whomever I bring the car to to run it for codes to find the diagnosis for the check engine light.
-Leather trim on handbrake is gone.

Here are some pictures that I took of it:
R32 Front Left by askew.media, on Flickr
R32 Front by askew.media, on Flickr
R32 Front Right by askew.media, on Flickr
R32 Rear Right by askew.media, on Flickr
R32 Rear by askew.media, on Flickr
R32 Rear Left by askew.media, on Flickr
R32 Back Left by askew.media, on Flickr
R32 Front Wheel by askew.media, on Flickr

Thanks for reading if you did. :D
Cheers!

gotti

.:R32 OG lulz...
Car(s)
.:R32
That number is not a production number. They were literally just randomly slapped on. Car looks good, welcome to the family.

gotti

.:R32 OG lulz...
Car(s)
.:R32
Thanks!
I didn't know that they just randomly slapped the numbers on.

A long time ago someone researched it and found that when they were shipped by boat that there were no numbers assigned to them. The steering wheels didn't have the plates either. When they arrived in the US, VW just started putting them on in no order. So the running joke was that everyone had 0001/5000. Which was kinda true...

What we do know is this, the exact numbers from VW themselves:
2,097 in Deep Blue Metallic
1,154 in United Gray Metallic
1,110 in Candy White
639 in Tornado Red

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
A long time ago someone researched it and found that when they were shipped by boat that there were no numbers assigned to them. The steering wheels didn't have the plates either. When they arrived in the US, VW just started putting them on in no order. So the running joke was that everyone had 0001/5000. Which was kinda true...

What we do know is this, the exact numbers from VW themselves:
2,097 in Deep Blue Metallic
1,154 in United Gray Metallic
1,110 in Candy White
639 in Tornado Red

gotti !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where the hell have you been