GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapped a RCD510 in the Rabbit - Poor FM Reception

Boondock

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI S
Just like the title says, I swapped a RCD-510 (AC revision) into my 2009 Rabbit. Everything works well, strong AM signal, crystal clear satellite radio, AUX input, no battery drain from the CANBUS, everything except the FM.

I had the very base stereo unit with only one antenna cable leading to the back.

I bought one of these to plug into the back of the radio before I knew I had only a single antenna cable back there. So one end is just hanging out with nothing plugged into it.

Dual Antenna Adapter

With this cable the FM signal is fairly poor. It goes anywhere from 8-30 dBuV and flips between MONO and POOR. (While AM is super strong at 60+)

Since I lack the second diversity antenna in my car, would a cable like one of these boost my signal? For $11 it would be worth a try regardless.

Diversity Antenna Adapter

Looking for any input or someone who has done the same thing.

Last edited:

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Just like the title says, I swapped a RCD-510 (AC revision) into my 2009 Rabbit. Everything works well, strong AM signal, crystal clear satellite radio, AUX input, no battery drain from the CANBUS, everything except the FM.

I had the very base stereo unit with only one antenna cable leading to the back.

I bought one of these to plug into the back of the radio before I knew I had only a single antenna cable back there. So one end is just hanging out with nothing plugged into it.

Dual Antenna Adapter

With this cable the FM signal is fairly poor. It goes anywhere from 8-30 dBuV and flips between MONO and POOR. (While AM is super strong at 60+)

Since I lack the second diversity antenna in my car, would a cable like one of these boost my signal? For $11 it would be worth a try regardless.

Diversity Antenna Adapter

Looking for any input or someone who has done the same thing.

It seems to be made for that purpose. I'd give it a try.

Boondock

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI S
Update -

Got the 2nd antenna adapter. Didn't help FM reception at all. It may be something I have to live with if I can't find a solution for adding in a diversity antenna.

Grinchvr6

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. I bought this cable and plugged it in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diversity-R...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a980f51ba&vxp=mtr

Could it be that much different than the one you provided the link for?

It looks like they have different connectors...

The one I posted lists the cable specs as:

Connector 1:- 1 x Fakra-Z plug (all key useful)
Connector 2:- Combination Fakra Jacks (with 1 x Fakra-B & 1 x Fakra-Z)

The one you posted lists the specs as:

1. Connector 1:- 1 x Fakra-B plug
2. Connector 2:- Combination Fakra Jacks (with 1 x Fakra-B & 1 x Fakra-Z)

So even though they look the same mine shows the single plug that connects to the antenna as Fakra Z, and yours as Fakra B. Maybe in Fakraland that makes a difference.