GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fan Switch or Relay broken-only 4th speed works

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Quick update for anyone that has this issue. Its a really easy fix. Only a few minutes. Remove the lower cover where the cabin air filter is and youll see the plug that goes into the resistor. Remove the plug and then remove the resistor. Replace with new. 51 dollars at dealer. ECS is sold out and backordered.
Now you have heat/ac again!!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• resister.jpg
    resister.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 21,843

mk5_92

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same issue, replace the resistor, take out the fan and give it a clean with some WD-40 and that should be that sorted :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Is the same resistor used for Climatronic? I'm thinking no because it seems to be an electronically-controlled, variable-speed fan.

mattgold

Hey Guys!

A few weeks ago my fans would only work on the high setting. After a quick Google search and help from the forum I was able to locate a couple great YouTube videos walking me through replacing the fuse on the resistor and cleaning the blower motor.

Resistor Fix Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLWn...5KpOtq&index=2

Blower Motor Cleaning Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kVk...5KpOtq&index=1

It was a quick job and when everything was buttoned up it worked - but was odd. Basically 4 still worked, but the rest of the levels were "swapped". 3 was the lowest setting, 2 was mid range and 1 was high. I didn't think *much* of it and figured maybe the thermal fuse was backwards.

The next day, I was playing with the A/C controls and they stopped working. No fans on any setting. I figured the fuse blew and decided to just order the complete replacement resistor and a blower motor for good measure.

I just installed everything and still nada. That means: new blower motor, new blower motor resistor - but still nothing. I set off to try and locate a blown fuse either under the hood or in the side panel - but couldn't find anything out of whack.

Is there something else I should be looking at? The LAST thing I want to do is drive this to a mechanic (although I do have a few I trust). I'm thinking switch or fuse - but don't know where to look.

Any ideas?

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
A common problem but there is a cause. It's more than likely that you blower motor is on it's way out.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
Blower motor was replaced with a new unit and resistor (not just fuse) was replaced.

It's possible the blower was DOA - but not likely.
I replaced my resistor and a few days later the blower motor took a crap and had smoke billowing out of the vents.