GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fan Switch or Relay broken-only 4th speed works

MYGTIMKV

Ready to race!
Blower resistor broken-only 4th speed works

Hello All,

Need some advice/direction...on replacing blower resisitor

Can anyone explain why these fail and the likelihood of them failing again?

blower (circulation fan) is not working in speeds 1,2,3, but 4th (highest) speed setting works.
A/C works...not sure if recycle vs fresh is working.

GTI 2009, manual, with 46K...so this is not under warranty is assume.

Can you please let me know if this is an "easy" DIY?
Is this most likely the switch going bad or the relay or what?
Any recalls?

Please share any insight or links that could help me...I have no idea what this might cost me at the stealership or what unnecessary repairs might be done.

thanks,
j

Last edited:

Thumper1958

Passed Driver's Ed
...I just ran into the same issue, only the 4th fan speed setting works...('06 MKV GTI)

...is this a common issue, and if so, whats the fix? I really cant afford a visit to the dealer...

Thanks in Advance!

Kevin

08wabbit

Car(s)
08 Rabbit
just happened to mine too (55k miles). Dealer has the resistor on order. Noticed that my fan is going bad now too. My guess is the fan is drawing too much power and burned up the resistor. VW used some cheap fans in these cars I think.

The resistor is down by the cabin filter and seems easy to replace. My car is still under warranty so it's the dealers problem.

oni242

Ready to race!
It's to the right of the cabin filter. Just follow the wire from the blower motor. Resistor is just plugged in there, not connected to anything. Careful if you've been running the car. I burned my finger on it.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Sorry to bump this... This just happened to me today and its only 10 degrees in CT. So to the right of the cabin filter is the resistor?? Easy fix? Any chance its the switch on dash?
I guessing not a fuse bc speed 4 still works.
Any help would be great. Anyone that has already fixed this please post.
Thanks
Brian

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
Sorry to bump this... This just happened to me today and its only 10 degrees in CT. So to the right of the cabin filter is the resistor?? Easy fix? Any chance its the switch on dash?
I guessing not a fuse bc speed 4 still works.
Any help would be great. Anyone that has already fixed this please post.
Thanks
Brian

i bought a beater and this was a problem for my nissan sentra as well. all i did was go to the nearest autoparts store and ordered in the fan relay. plug and play. it should be the same.

another person asked why it happens, its because the metal areas where the switch connects gets dirty or theres a block in the relays. its common on aging cars. its an easy fix and CHEAP!

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Just checked fuse to be sure- its fine.
Looked under pass side. Pulled cabin air filter. Not seeing relay??? Anyone have pics or suggestions?

UG_GTI

VW Doktor
Resistor failure is common on mk5. There is a technical bulletin addressing the issue. An updated blower motor is needed along with a new resistor.

thehandofgod137

I have a 2007 Rabbit and the same thing happened to my blower about 6 months ago. Not sure if the setup is the same in the GTI but I did two things:

1) Removed the resistor pack found under the glovebox. Cut off the thermal fuse and replaced it with an equivalent part from radio shack. I did this by crimping it on using some small diameter tubing pieces to link it to the resistor pack. Of course you can just go to the dealer and get a new resistor pack but I liked the $1.50 option.
2) Took apart the blower as much as I was able and cleaned around the bushings/bearings. Took a little bit of effort as there was some oxidation/rust or whatnot that made the motor spin poorly. I just cleaned it up sprayed a little lube in there and spins freely now.

Been running perfectly fine now for the last six months. Hope this helps!

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
I have a 2007 Rabbit and the same thing happened to my blower about 6 months ago. Not sure if the setup is the same in the GTI but I did two things:

1) Removed the resistor pack found under the glovebox. Cut off the thermal fuse and replaced it with an equivalent part from radio shack. I did this by crimping it on using some small diameter tubing pieces to link it to the resistor pack. Of course you can just go to the dealer and get a new resistor pack but I liked the $1.50 option.
2) Took apart the blower as much as I was able and cleaned around the bushings/bearings. Took a little bit of effort as there was some oxidation/rust or whatnot that made the motor spin poorly. I just cleaned it up sprayed a little lube in there and spins freely now.

Been running perfectly fine now for the last six months. Hope this helps!

Thanks

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Anyone have the correct part number for the 2007 gti fsi resistor. I searched and went to a few webpages and they all seem to have 3-4 avail??

I tried to call my dealer but they were crazy busy and said they have to call me back. great cust service!! lol

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Dealer called back: Just an FYI for anyone:: part number 1k0959263A
About 50 bucks. Going to search online to find it cheaper.
Dealer quoted me 300+ 95 dio fee. I said no thanks. Going to fix next weekend myself.
Thanks again for everyones help.

ECS has it for 25 dollars but there web page isnt working....:mad0259::mad0259::mad0259::mad0259:

Last edited:

thehandofgod137

A word of warning. If you decide to do it yourself make sure to check that the blower spins fairly easily when you spin it with your hand. If the blower seems to be difficult to spin by hand, and you just replace the resistor pack, it will only be a matter of time before the fuse blows again. The harder the blower is to spin, the higher the load on the motor, the hotter the resistor pack gets, and eventually the thermal fuse pops.

You don't want to lose another $50 just because the root cause was not solved.

Good Luck!